Sign in with
Your question

Pc dont't ask me which operating system to load.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 19, 2011 6:13:59 AM

I'm using win 7. I also want to use win xp in my same pc. Last night I formatted my ''C'', firstly i installed xp on it & them i also installed win 7 without formatting ''C''. Now: when I start my pc , it dont ask me which win to load. It automatically load win7, I also went to bios window loader. there I saw only win 7 option, win xp option was not there.
Plz help me,, what should I do. So, that I can operate both windows.
NOTE.. I installed xp by booting while I installed 7 by just inserting the image of 7 in virtual drive & then I opened the setup.
October 19, 2011 6:24:02 AM

Do you have two separate partitions for each OS?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 12:19:21 AM

You mean do you have A separate partition for each OS
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2011 12:52:23 AM

You erased xp when you installed windows 7 on it. You should erase C and split the drive into a "C" and a "D", you can decide the size of both when you create these partitions. Then you install one OS in one partition e.g. C: windows XP, D: windows 7.
m
l
October 20, 2011 1:26:10 AM

abekl said:
You mean do you have A separate partition for each OS

Whoops, missed a ", one" in the sentence.
Should have read "Do you have two separate partitions, one for each os?"

:) 
m
l
October 20, 2011 5:00:15 AM

Great. They've taken to the forums. And their language still appears to be as obfusticated as usual.

Idea: Require a literacy test for a Tom's account!
m
l
October 20, 2011 5:29:31 AM

No,, I donn't have two separate partitions for os. I have 40 gb "C" which i use for os.
and i dont erased xp while doing 7.
m
l
October 20, 2011 5:35:08 AM

Gamer-girl said:
You erased xp when you installed windows 7 on it. You should erase C and split the drive into a "C" and a "D", you can decide the size of both when you create these partitions. Then you install one OS in one partition e.g. C: windows XP, D: windows 7.

How should I split my C into "C" and a "D". R u telling me to do partition of my hard??
m
l
October 20, 2011 6:30:15 AM

Yes I meant partitions. You can only install one OS per partition, so when you installed windows 7, it actually erased XP even though you did not do it manually.

Why do you need XP anyways, windows 7 has a "compatibility mode" or you could just run XP in virtual machine. Just windows by itself will take half your hard drive space, I don't think it would be a good idea to split a 40GB hard drive.

m
l
October 20, 2011 6:45:51 AM

Win7 needs at least 20 odd GB overall with all it's page files, hibernate files and all. What's worse, it "grows" over time.

Splitting it into 2 equal ones will only get you 2 partitions of 16 odd GB each. Not gonna work that way.

What you need is to either work with one OS or get a bigger HDD. They only cost a few bucks these days. Something 12.5 times larger (500 GB drives) will only set you back by 40 odd bucks, I think.

If you look into your C:\ drive, you'll see a folder called Windows.old. That's your (now unusable) "old" WinXP installation :( 

Don't worry, you haven't lost any data - music, videos, photos, documents etc. Just that your paid-for programs (if you have any) might not run any more without re-installation (MS Office etc.)

@ OP - I'm sorry if i sounded condescending in my post, but you just erased an existing installation unknowingly. I wrote as simply as I could.
m
l
October 21, 2011 4:57:43 AM

Gamer-girl said:
Yes I meant partitions. You can only install one OS per partition, so when you installed windows 7, it actually erased XP even though you did not do it manually.

Why do you need XP anyways, windows 7 has a "compatibility mode" or you could just run XP in virtual machine. Just windows by itself will take half your hard drive space, I don't think it would be a good idea to split a 40GB hard drive.

I don't have 40 gb hard, my hard is of 250 gb. I wrote that my "C" drive is of 40 gb.
The idea that I should use virtual machine to run xp seems good. But I havn't used virtual machine in past & I had no experience. Is it easy to use V machine?? which software should I use???
Thanks for so many replies
m
l
October 21, 2011 5:10:07 AM

calguyhunk said:
Win7 needs at least 20 odd GB overall with all it's page files, hibernate files and all. What's worse, it "grows" over time.

Splitting it into 2 equal ones will only get you 2 partitions of 16 odd GB each. Not gonna work that way.

What you need is to either work with one OS or get a bigger HDD. They only cost a few bucks these days. Something 12.5 times larger (500 GB drives) will only set you back by 40 odd bucks, I think.

If you look into your C:\ drive, you'll see a folder called Windows.old. That's your (now unusable) "old" WinXP installation :( 

Don't worry, you haven't lost any data - music, videos, photos, documents etc. Just that your paid-for programs (if you have any) might not run any more without re-installation (MS Office etc.)

@ OP - I'm sorry if i sounded condescending in my post, but you just erased an existing installation unknowingly. I wrote as simply as I could.

I don't have 40 gb hard, my hard is 250 gb. I wrote that my "C" drive is of 40 gb.
The idea that I should use virtual machine to run xp seems good. But I havn't used virtual machine in past & I had no experience. Is it easy to use V machine?? which software should I use???
m
l
October 21, 2011 6:16:06 AM

haseebas50 said:
I don't have 40 gb hard, my hard is 250 gb. I wrote that my "C" drive is of 40 gb.
A. Since your C drive is only 40 GB in a 250 GB HDD, it is already partitioned so don't worry 'bout that. I think the way you put it, we all thought that you had a 40 GB hard drive.

B. Please stop saying "my hard...". It makes me chuckle :lol:  (yeah, juvenile - I know :p  ). It's a Hard Disk Drive or HDD.

haseebas50 said:
Is it easy to use V machine?? which software should I use???
VMware player
m
l
October 21, 2011 8:04:30 AM

Partition your 250gb hard drive into two or more drives, at least 20gb each partition.
I'd recommend larger, as you will want to install programs. Personal preference would be two partitions 40gb each and another partition using the left over space.

Once that's done install Windows XP to one of the partitions then install Windows 7 to the other partition.
At the moment you wiped the Windows XP installation by installing Windows 7 over the top of it.
m
l
October 28, 2011 6:07:17 AM

yes i got both OS's by partitioning C. i can operates both OS's...
thanks to all of u 4 giving me so much time.. gd bye
m
l
October 29, 2011 7:45:25 AM

Good on ya, mate :) 
m
l
!