2TB External Drive Advice Requested

coquito

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hi

I'm looking to buy an external 2TB hard drive for my laptop. Reliability is the most important issue. I keep reading reviews where people have had problems with all manufacturers, especially the two that I'm considering Seagate and WD (which are almost the only two manufacturers left).

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

tomatthe

Distinguished
There isn't an exact answer to this, all drives have a chance of failing. The best you will likely get is a few peoples experiences with different drives which aren't really that telling.

Go with the drive with the best warranty at the best price point and realize the drive may fail just like any other drive might. Keeping it in one location and never moving it will definitely help keep it from failing, but that certainly doesn't mean it still can't.

coquito

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

thanks for your advice between the WD My Book Live and the Seagate Free Agent is there one that you would choose ?

once again, thanks a lot

tomatthe

Distinguished
If I was buying I would buy based on this ordering, assuming you are comparing equal spec 2Tb drives.

Lowest Price - If equal look at the warranty.
Longest Warranty - If both 1 year (probably will be)
Seagate - I just don't like WD, no other reason.
WD

tomatthe

Distinguished
I got stuck with a bunch of wd black drives that won't work properly in a Raid 5 set. They made some changes after I had originally bought the drives, and once one failed and I got a replacement I won't work in Raid 5 which basically made them useless for my original intentions. I won't consider buying from them again after this.