Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Onboard video, yes or no?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 2, 2010 8:36:38 PM

So I have a new build in the works and I was wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages to having onboard video? I'm not going to use the onboard in either case. It's going to be a AMD/ATI build and was reading about how you can run both the onboard and the discrete card in Crossfire with some motherboards.

Would you even notice a difference Crossfiring a 1-2gb card with a 128mb onboard card?
Seems kinda like a gimmick really.

For onboard? Against onboard?
Any opinions?

More about : onboard video

a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2010 9:16:02 PM

Both ATI and Nvidia offer "Hybrid" Crossfire/SLI respectively. It should make some improvement in performance due to the added memory alone, but I wouldn't count on it being a game changer in any case. With 1/2GB of onboard GPU memory, the improvement would be negligible. It won't hurt to have the onboard graphics in any way however.
October 2, 2010 10:52:06 PM

Quote:
if your not going to use it in anyways then why so curious.?
hybrid SLI is what you are referring to not sure about hybrid crossfire.
higher level i5 and i7 cpu's do not have a graphics controller so on-board video is not needed with them. you have to buy a add-in video card.
only the cpu's w/o the graphics controller can be overclock including reaching the fastest overclocked RAM speeds.


I am not going to use the onboard video as this is going to be a Gaming/HTPC rig and onboard video won't cut it. I'm just wondering if there is anything to be gained/lost by not having onboard video.

As I said before, it's going to be a AMD/ATI build. Also, I won't be overclocking anything as I'm looking to generate as little heat as possible, I'd love to be able to go fanless, but I need the GPU power, lol.
Related resources
October 4, 2010 2:27:56 AM

It's nice to have an onboard video card if you don't have a spare vid card laying around. If anything ever happens to your primary card you're not offline until the replacement gets there.
October 4, 2010 6:12:05 AM

An onboard solution is nowhere as compared to a dedicated graphics solution. Even if it is for a basic HTPC, you will find the performance difference in rendering and in video performance with the dedicated graphics solution. And as far as gaming goes, onboard does not even provide the necessary power to get decent frame rates even at low resolutions albeit the less demanding games should run fine.

But with Windows using so much of resources and offering more and more eye candy, its best off to go with a dedicated graphics solution.
October 4, 2010 8:54:15 AM

I would add a GPU. I love mine as it has its own vent to push heat out of the case. This keeps internal temps down.....just my two cents....

Brad
October 4, 2010 10:25:58 AM

The graphic card 6xxx will be hugely expensive when it comes out, and will need long time before turning down into more budgetive price. I dunno what the price will 6xxx be when it comes out.
October 4, 2010 7:07:30 PM

In my case I had to go with a a motherboard with onboard video. I do plan on getting a dedicated video card but it may take me a few weeks to get it. If I do play the few games I plan on playing I'll just have to lower the resolution and turn down the details just to make them playable. I agree that if you don't have an extra video card laying around it's good to have onboard video just in case your single video card dies.
October 5, 2010 2:31:30 AM

kaustabhray said:
An onboard solution is nowhere as compared to a dedicated graphics solution. Even if it is for a basic HTPC, you will find the performance difference in rendering and in video performance with the dedicated graphics solution. And as far as gaming goes, onboard does not even provide the necessary power to get decent frame rates even at low resolutions albeit the less demanding games should run fine.


Well the dedicated card is a given, I would never consider using solely onboard video, unless I was building a computer for extremely basic use.

andrern2000 said:
The graphic card 6xxx will be hugely expensive when it comes out, and will need long time before turning down into more budgetive price. I dunno what the price will 6xxx be when it comes out.


I would hazard a guess that the 6000 series would probably start around 500$. How long do you figure before lower cards drop in price, or would they move at all?
October 5, 2010 2:38:02 AM

Richard_nixon said:

I would hazard a guess that the 6000 series would probably start around 500$. How long do you figure before lower cards drop in price, or would they move at all?


Yeah, I think so. I recommending GTX 460. It's a great bang-for-buck card at the moment. Going onboard card is enough if you running Office/works application, and/or light games such, maybe as Popcap games.
!