Sign in with
Your question

Does HP Lock BIOS

Last response: in Overclocking
November 30, 2012 10:07:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a pre-built HP. It is an Intel QuadCore Q8300, @ 2.5 GHz

Is this something that I can overclock?
Someone once told me that HP locks the BIOS and thus I am not able to, so I thought this would be a good place to find a definite answer.

More about : lock bios

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 10:44:44 PM

Typically all the OEM computer I know of are all locked in terms of overclocking. You can still access the bios but there are not any options to overclock. You could however try buying another motherboard and overclocking.
m
l
November 30, 2012 10:48:24 PM

Noob question i know, but its the mobo that prevents the OC, and not the CPU itself?
A new mobo also means a new copy of windows as well right? And also some sort of after market cooling?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 10:51:35 PM

Yep a new windows copy is needed since that product key is kind of stuck to your oem computer. In addition, it is highly recommended to get a after market cooler. My suggestion for great overclocks but not the highest is the Hyper 212 EVO given it will fit.

Edit: Yes it's also the motherboard that locks up all the stuff.
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:08:30 AM

So to be clear, with a new mobo, (and a cooler) i should be able to OC my cpu?

I don't know much about mobo's...what is a good make? Any recommendations? If it helps, i'm buing an amd 7870 2gb, and a new psu (600+)
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2012 12:38:05 PM

Well state your budget for a cooler and a motherboard and I will find you a suitable one. Anyways can you use newegg.com?
m
l
December 1, 2012 4:16:27 PM

ya i can..i am in Canada so it tend to use the .ca versions however if the US price is good enough i can go over the boarder to pick it up from a US mailing address i have.

Anyway i have no idea what these prices can range. Idk if it helps but i am getting a 2gb amd 7870 and a psu (XFX 650W PRO650W Core Edition).

So i'm unsure if its worth it to buy a new mobo and a cooler while learning to OC, OR just buying a mobo and a better stock processor. Thoughts?

Feel free to give a few price ranges...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2012 4:19:35 PM

Well technically it is better to get a better processor and mobo since LGA 775 is pretty expensive now that Intel no longer makes processors for it. You could always get a new processor and mobo and read the step by step stickies on the overclocking subsection to get a firm understanding on how to learn overclocking. I myself learned from that.
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:40:00 PM

Alright, i will definitely do that. Is $200 on a processor a reasonable amount? I've never built piece by piece before. My budget is in limbo as i will save to get what i want. I'm not looking for a rig to compete with a professional rig as i know the sky is really the limit, but i do want it to be a worthwhile upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2012 8:44:55 PM

With $200 a really good processor would be the i5 3570k, it is one of the best processors for gaming. Let me known your budget for a build and I can construct one online with the lowest prices, just make sure to tell me which parts you can re-use so we can cut costs down.
m
l
December 1, 2012 9:49:43 PM

well i guess my case is fine to reuse. i will need ram, mobo and processor (which i guess means a new copy of windows) as i am buying an amd 7870 2gb this week and a 650 xfx psu.

Does the processor you recommended support OC and cross fire?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2012 9:56:39 PM

3570k is the very meaning of overclocking :lol:  (not literally)
The K indicates that it has the capacity to overclock quite well given the motherboard can overclock as well. The processor can also handle crossfiring/sli easily since it is quite powerful and so bottlenecking isn't an issue.
m
l
December 1, 2012 10:04:59 PM

ya i was told my ram is slow ram...even though its 8gb of ddr3...so idk really. If i overclock will i also need a aftermarket cooling option?

I'm sort of confused by this whole overclocking thing....basically, why are the processors not set to run at the fastest speeds they are capable of running? Is this simply the companies way of getting the average user to buy the better stock processor?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2012 10:08:58 PM

Well my input to why Intel and AMD sell their processors not at the fastest speed because each chip is different. Some can overclock better than others and so they can't really call it the same CPU model when it comes at varying clock speeds. In addition, typically black edition processors and K series processors cost more than the normal/standard processor. That ability to overclock means more business.

Also you will need a aftermarket cooler especially for that Ivy Bridge 3570k which gets hot when you tinker with the voltage. The Hyper 212 will get you a fair overclock, and it costs pretty cheap.

Lastly, what frequency does your ram run at?
m
l
December 1, 2012 10:16:48 PM

pfft i have no idea...i seem to recall something about 1033, but i just ran belarc and it didnt give me ram speed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2012 10:17:32 PM

1066 mhz? That is kind of slow when you compare it to 1600 mhz ram which is what most people have on DDR3 builds.
m
l
December 2, 2012 12:27:32 AM

ok so it seems i need new ram to go with a new processor and mobo.

Now...do you still sugges the same processor even if i'm feeling hesitant in OC?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2012 12:33:10 AM

That is fine if you don't want to overclock, there is the non k edition of the 3570. Though the price difference is very minimal so it would not hurt at all to grab the K edition and not even overclock. At the end of the day you are buying a much more efficient processor that will poop over your current processor :lol: 

Edit: Take a look at this and compare the position of the 3570k and the 8300.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
m
l
December 2, 2012 4:55:42 PM

So i had a little chance to look over the recommended processor. Is it really worth it upgrading to another that is still a quad core?

I recognize that the i53570 is 4 tiers higher than my q8300, but i guess i just havent done enough reading. But i will be going from a 2.6 to a 3.4.

As of now the q8300 is the bottleneck in my system correct?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2012 5:07:16 PM

Well for bottlenecking it depends on the game (CPU bound games) and what resolution you are playing at. Generally the q8300 is kind of old and bound for a replacement rather than upgrading a discontinued socket.
m
l
December 2, 2012 10:35:53 PM

ok so i'll put it on the wish list. what about a mobo to match

(remember gpu is amd 7870)
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2012 10:58:54 PM

the Asrock Z77 Extreme 3 or 4 will do just fine for that new processor.
m
l
!