ATI 3870 5.1 Audio in Windows 7

thejohndis

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a Sapphire ATI HD 3870 video card that outputs sound over HDMI to my home theatre receiver that's hooked up to my TV. I get sound, but only stereo, NOT 5.1. It's supposed to output 5.1 but currently is not.

I'm using Windows 7 and all of my drivers are up to date (using the latest ATI catalyst software). I go into Sound in the Control Panel and right click on my "ATI HDMI Output" to "configure speakers" and there is only a stereo option available, no surround option. When I click next there is a box I can can check that says "front and left." Underneath it there is a "surround speaker" box that is unable to be checked, it's greyed out.

Any thoughts? I just want 5.1 audio via my HDMI, not stereo.

No idea. ATI isn't exactly providing alot of fixes for 3xxx series cards and thus newer drivers rarely offer anything new. If you had this working under Vista, then you may want to try on older driver that you know works. With any luck it won't cause any problems and you'll get your 5.1 back.

thejohndis

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks. I hadn't surround sound with Vista so I'm not sure if an older driver would work or not. I've seen a few posts of people with problems with their HDMI audio on these cards but every solution seems to be different or outdated (because of older Catalyst software).