My 1st SSD - What Do I Need to Know?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
My 1st SSD - What Do I Need to Know?

I've never had an SSD before so, I'm curious about basic maintenance differences between HD's and SSD's. What all do I need to know before getting my first SSD regarding basic maintenance like I used to perform with HD's such as defrag, clean and scan disk, virus scans etc? By having an SSD for my OS and programs only, while having a separate HD for documents etc, will that eliminate most viruses from corrupting my OS and programs?

I want the Intel 520, 120G "Cherryville" and I'll also still have to use my 1 year old 500g HD for now until prices come way down.

I am in the process of organizing for a new build but, I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge and the z77 boards -

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333702-31-bridge-work-build

Do not defrag a SSD. It is useless and just add uncessary writes to the drive.
SSDs use Wear Leveling algorithms to ensure that all NAND cells get equal usage.
Let the SSD write the files where it wants and do its job of wear leveling.

Follow the same procedures as a HDD with regards to virus protection.

The port your SSD is connected to should be in AHCI mode for maximum performance.

Your choice of a SSD is good and the Intel SSD is great for reliablity. As said by Dereck do not defrag your SSD and as a matter of fact you should shut off automatic defrag that is on by default in Windows 7. You can still scan for viruses and the SSD is just as sussectable to getting a virus as any hdd and it will afect the whole computer. Make sure you enable AHCI before you load the OS onto the SSD.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks soooo much for all the help!

Those last two posts link to the same article. I wonder, since that article is from 2010 does that article need to be updated with any other newer information?

Here's another comment:

"Make sure AHCI is enabled in bios, and install Windows 7. That's it. Windows 7 will automatically install in correct partition alignment, enable TRIM, disable defrag etc. You don't have to do any extra work.

Some people may tell you to do further maintenance (disable indexing, page files, etc), but that's absolutely unnecessary."

You only get trim support on Motherboards with Intel chipsets and you do want to enable AHCI before you load Windows and you still want to check and make sure that automatic defrag is turned off. You want to move you page file off of the boot drive if the boot drive is a SSD and lower the amount of virtual memory.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
It isn't so much that wear-leveling is in the way of degragmentation, its that defragmentation is useless as all parts of the SSD have equal access times. It isn't a magnetic platter that spins with latency involved in tracking down file fragments.

You are correct with regards to access times.
Didn’t mean to imply that wear leveling gets in the way of defragmenting, just that with regards to SSDs it doesn’t matter if data is fragmented or not.

Here’s a brief quote from a Micron whitepaper on Wear Leveling:

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
No no, I was not discrediting what you were saying. You are absolutely correct that wear leveling practically prevent degragmentation, because it attempts to ensure different cells get equal write cycles. Infact, I've heard of wear leveling making it so that defragmentation software THINKS the drive is defragmentated physically, but the wear leveling puts files where it pleases anyway. So you were correct, wear leveling pretty much does get into the way, I think.

I just was just adding to the fact that no top of being in the way, that defragmenting SSD's is pointless in general for performance reasons.

LordConrad

Distinguished

I believe TRIM support is a feature of the OS and SSD, not the chipset. To my knowledge, TRIM works perfectly fine on both AMD and Intel systems, and works in both AHCI and IDE modes (although AHCI is faster).

Here is a post I found with more information about TRIM (towards the end, it's a long message).
http://communities.intel.com/message/123107#123107

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
A little help here please ...

Why are these 120g by Intel 520 SSD's different prices? What's the difference between them - I notice the model numbers are different so, what is the difference?

This one (SSDSC2CW120A3K5) runs $223.99

While this one (SSDSC2CW120A310) runs $194.94

Is there a difference between these SSD's or no?

Good point. :)
I went to Intel's website and there's just a $10 difference between the 2 product codes.
I think Newegg's trying to make a $110 markup. :)

Hi,

1. TRIM is supported by Windows 7 if SATA AHCI mode is enabled in BIOS. That req. of course that the mobo has support for it and other mobos than Intel chipset do have support.

The Microsoft AHCI driver will be a better choice if running on a AMD platform, since Intel SSD Toolbox does not work well with the AMD AHCI driver. There are also some issues with some Dell computers, so use msahci driver if problems occur.
MS ACHI also supports TRIM.

However, Intel Matrox or Intel RST AHCI driver will be the best to use on the Intel chipset platform for optimum performance with an Intel SSD (note).

Note1. Windows 7 with Intel Matrox AHCI driver: Intel SSD Toolbox with Intel SSD Optimizer required to run Trim
Note 2. Microsoft Vista or Windows XP regardless AHCI driver: Intel SSD Toolbox with Intel SSD Optimizer required to run Trim
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455

2. The Microsoft Pagefile should of course be on the SSD, preferable use two of them and put second pagefile on the HDD, since Windows will automatically read/write from the disk that is not used at the moment. The SSD/HDD cannot read/write on the same disk at the same time.

Microsoft http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx
Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs? Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.

In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that

Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.

In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.

3. This article on Tom's should be re-written, since it has some wrong suggestions about what is best to do.
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

Sincerely, from Sweden :wahoo:

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was doing some SSD research and stumbled on it. FlyFisherman is correct with his last statement that the guide at http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html is very wrong in places as my understanding goes. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but...

Step 4 - Disable drive indexing. Why would you want to do this? It's not really directly related to seek times it allows windows search to index files so that if you type 'hardware' for example into windows search it will search the contents of files. Why turn this off?

Step 6 - Disable page file! I've done quite a bit of research on this and it's never good to disable the page file, it is a myth that windows works better without it. I understand cutting down on the access to the drive but surely the whole point of the SSD is quick access times from the pagefile?!

Step 8 - Disable prefetch and Superfetch?!?!?! Surely, as my understanding goes this is the fundamental reason for getting an SSD. That's why Windows from Vista onwards allows you to create Readyboost partitions on flash memory devices. The point of superfetch is to cache fequently used files in quick access storage memory for faster access times (ie a flash drive) I totally don't understand this suggestion.

Step 10 - Disbale windows search and superfetch. Again I don't see the logic behind this, Windows 7 (haven't used 8 yet) hides all the stuff you wan't to find, I actually use windows search all the time why disable it? Also Superfetch see above.

The only thing I've taken from that guide is the TRIM information and confirming defrag is turned off. I think the rest is a waste of effort and highlighted above I think wrong. The guide needs revising unless someone can show me the error of my ways!

I totally agree and I am surprised that no one has replayed on my posting before...
Tom's should absolutely do a serious consideration on exactly what they are recommend in their articles...
In some cases it's absolute wrong.

Sometimes I have a feeling that regardless of how good Tom's are in respect of writing their articles about 'testing and reporting new stuffs' they do not sometimes fully understand what they are talking about and get the whole facts.

Step. 6 Page file should Not be disabled on the system disk, especially if one need s to have a memory dump file in case of BSOD. Well read my last posting regarding this.

As for the rest of Your points, that is very interesting and I have also some serious doubt about these.

Ps. Sorry for my poor English and grammar. Ds

byroshi

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

the part numbers end with 310 comes from a bulk OEM pack, without the 2.5" to 3.5" bracket. That's where the $10 delta comes in. The part numbers end with 3K5 are retail/reseller packs with the bracket. The drives itself are the same.

kamhagh

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
anyway just something, keep your hdd and 120gb is enough !
ssds are not drives throw files at and pictures and load it with unsorted files :D install windows antivirus + drivers on ssd and some stuff that doesn't make different or you dont use much on hdd + photos and videos and downloads !

all that stuff + world of warcraft (much quicker loads and stuff) on my ssd, still 75gb free (same model as you !)

also i recommend you too install intel ssd toolbox

thats stuff on my HDD : arduino IDE - battle.net - half-life - crystal disk bench heartstone - handbreak

IDM .... vlc - steam - sublime - warcraft - winrar - wow mop ( i dont play it ! )

anyway that was just to give you idea to install what on which !:D enjoy your new fast life :p

also: my hdd gives much better crystal results after i removed windows from it :O my hdd is faster too now !

and i tried all the stuff on hdd on ssd once, not even a 0.1sec difference :D but fo others there was much difference!

EDIT: :O this thread is so old ! im so sorry, i didn't realize that, at least when someone has the same problem they can check it :!

Jason Janssens

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
I almost fully disagree with everyone.

Yes, I agree with: how more writes and stuff, decreases your lifespan of SSD

But, a big BUT

People recommend also, that you don't move you're internet temporary folders and cache folders, from SSD to an HDD. Why ? I don't understand.

Every site you view, creates new cache files on your ssd. Then you use maybe: CCleaner to remove them again. That's a lot of writes done on your ssd.

Now we are getting to the point: Never do a defragmentation on your ssd.

If you never do it, like me in the past, what are the results ... ????

You're SSD is so heavenly fragmented, that it slows down you're windows startup. I've seen it with my own eyes.

In the beginning startup time: 17 seconds. After a few years: 45 seconds and increasing !!! Even my READ and WRITE gets slower.

From that moment on, I've decided to defrag only, the fragmented files. (so not everything) Only what's fragmented.
Free program "Defraggler" has this option: by selecting the fragmented files only.

I did a reboot of my pc after that = startup time => 18 seconds again !!! Yes: one second less,
but I've installed many new things also in all those years.

End conclusion: Do only a defrag on the fragmented files, 2-3 times a year. (every 4 months)
You're ssd will automaticly optimize the rest of the stuff.

Do this: 2-3 times a year. Specially if your cache temp internet browser files are also stored and removed on your SSD.

Do you really think, that those 2-3 times a year, will make a huge impact on you're lifespan ? While daily read and write: internet files.

If you don't do this and you're SSD get's fully fragmented and starts taking minutes to start-up Windows,
you don't see any difference anymore between a SSD and a normal HDD. Because both get's slow this way.
And have you not buyed an SSD, for a quicker startup ???

Greetings

Jack

Jason Janssens

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
Ow, this was an old thread ???

I'm sorry for that too. I founded it with a recent reply.

Seems to me, this discussion is back online.

Good question for newbies. It's an important question too.
Should be sticky instead of: removed

This topic question, can create new solutions,
because the PC industry changes from day to day