Tags:
  • SSD
  • SATA
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
February 28, 2012 6:11:11 PM

Hi,
I am about to buy an OCZ Synapse 64GB SSD. I have read that it is better to have the SATA ports running in AHCI mode, whereas mine are running in IDE mode (SATA 2 ports on an MSI P55 CD53). When I change it to AHCI mode, a problem occurs and I cannot boot my PC, so I am forced to use IDE mode. Will this have negative effects on the cache SSD?
Thank you.

More about : ssd ahci mode

a b G Storage
February 28, 2012 6:17:57 PM

IDE mode is slower. run a benchmark, you are probably not getting the throughput you should.
a c 544 G Storage
February 28, 2012 6:18:56 PM

olivierhacking said:
When I change it to AHCI mode, a problem occurs and I cannot boot my PC, so I am forced to use IDE mode.

You cannot change from IDE mode to AHCI mode after you have installed Windows without a Windows Registry file edit.

Here's a link on how to edit the Windows Reigstry file: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/content.php?286...
Related resources
February 28, 2012 6:27:03 PM

Dereck47 said:
You cannot change from IDE mode to AHCI mode after you have installed Windows without a Windows Registry file edit.

Here's a link on how to edit the Windows Reigstry file: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/content.php?286...

So after changing the registry file I can reset it to AHCI mode? No need for new drivers?
I'm thinking of installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
a c 544 G Storage
February 28, 2012 6:40:24 PM

olivierhacking said:
So after changing the registry file I can reset it to AHCI mode? No need for new drivers?

Correct.

I'm thinking of installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver said:
I'm thinking of installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver

Yes, you can do that after you've successfully changed modes.
February 28, 2012 6:51:34 PM

Dereck47 said:
Correct.

Yes, you can do that after you've successfully changed modes.

Ok, thanks for the help- will post back in a few days! :) 
Please make sure to check back in a few days, thanks (just in case there is an issue etc.)
a c 316 G Storage
February 29, 2012 5:49:19 PM

You might be better off doing an OS install on that drive instead of using it for cache. Just saying.
a c 544 G Storage
February 29, 2012 6:50:43 PM

WyomingKnott said:
You might be better off doing an OS install on that drive instead of using it for cache. Just saying.

OCZ Synapse drives use 50% NAND overprovisioning, which is not user accessible.

So the 64GB drive is actually only 32GB in capacity, so it’s probably a little to small to use as an O/S drive.
March 3, 2012 11:49:18 AM

Alright, I enabled AHCI in the BIOS, and I think it is running properly now. How do I check if it its? And should I install the Intel Rapid Storage technology driver?

Oh, and I went into the device manager, under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers it shows:
ATA channel 0
ATA channel 1
ATA channel 2
ATA channel 3
ATA channel 4
ATA channel 5
Intel 5 series/3400 Series Chipset family 6 port SATA AHCI controller- 3B22
a c 544 G Storage
March 3, 2012 1:09:00 PM

Read the instructions that came with your Synapse drive. I know that you have to install the Dataplex software in order to use the caching feature, but I don't know if you need to install Intel RST.
March 3, 2012 1:15:02 PM

I haven't purchased it yet, I am planning to :) 
But, I have read reviews and I know that the Intel Caching software is not needed. Nowhere did I find anything about the drivers. I am afraid installing the RST driver might mess up my OS somehow?
a c 544 G Storage
March 3, 2012 1:34:22 PM

No, it won't mess it up.
March 4, 2012 6:25:10 AM

I have two questions about the Synapse Cache SSD: will it make recording with FRAPS much smoother, because my HDD will be much faster?
And (if you know this): if the HDD which the SDD is linked to dies, can I use the SSD on another HDD?
a c 544 G Storage
March 4, 2012 1:36:38 PM

olivierhacking said:
I have two questions about the Synapse Cache SSD: will it make recording with FRAPS much smoother, because my HDD will be much faster?

Sorry, I don't know.

And (if you know this): if the HDD which the SDD is linked to dies, can I use the SSD on another HDD? said:
And (if you know this): if the HDD which the SDD is linked to dies, can I use the SSD on another HDD?

Yes, you can.
a c 353 G Storage
March 4, 2012 2:49:54 PM

Quote: will it make recording with FRAPS much smoother, End quote, probably not.
Have to remember, only what is in cache is speeded up and what is in cache is an educated quess based on the algorthum used. Writing is only speed up when the write is to the cache - it will still have to be written to the HDD, just a question of how delayed the write is, if during idle time will not notice. If a "bunch" of writes are built up and have to be pushed you will see a delay for any other HDD requests.

As too re-use. No problem but would need to "Flush" the cache if moving to a different system.
March 4, 2012 3:17:28 PM

Alright, thanks a lot for all your help/ responses! I will be purchasing the cache SSD soon :) 
Off topic question- do any of you know any other recording software which is less demanding than fraps, but which I can use my mic for as well?
March 4, 2012 7:23:59 PM

Hmm, you're right- people seem to have several issues with this device. Maybe I should not purchase it yet. What are your opinions on purchasing it?
a c 353 G Storage
March 4, 2012 9:24:25 PM

OCZ has had several problems over the past year and I tend to steer clear of them. I'm also not a fan of cashing a HDD as I much prefer a seperate SSD with the operating system + the programs most used installed. and use the HDD for a storage device.

My preference for SSDs are Samsung 830, curcial m4s and intel's 510 or 520.
March 5, 2012 5:24:28 AM

Yeah, I just read some mediocre reviews about the Synapse on Amazon as well.. guess I will put off purchasing it for the time being. Might consider buying one of those mentioned SSD's in the future, when they become a bit cheaper (hopefully in a year from now).
!