GPT - Won't take allocation size

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I have a 3TB drive in GPT, It refuses to use any other allocation unit other than 64K. I tested it mutiple times in GPT it stays at 64K no matter what i format it as, i switched it to MBR and it accepetted the change but when i put it back to GPT it still does 64K is GPT stuck at 64K allocation no matter what? It wastes a lot of space doing things in 64K.

Solution
The current implementation of NTFS only supports about 4 billion clusters on a volume - so at 512 bytes per cluster the file system would be limited to 2TB in size. That's an NTFS limitation and has nothing to do with whether you use GPT or MBR (except, of course, that with MBR you'll never have enough space available to create an NTFS volume larger than about 2TB anyway).

4K is a perfectly fine cluster size for NTFS - there's really no reason to fret about it.

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

I was trying to get it to 512Bytes but since its 4K aliagned i guess its not allowed. Windows finely gave me a message saying "allacation unit not large enough". I put it at 4096bytes and it works fine.

The current implementation of NTFS only supports about 4 billion clusters on a volume - so at 512 bytes per cluster the file system would be limited to 2TB in size. That's an NTFS limitation and has nothing to do with whether you use GPT or MBR (except, of course, that with MBR you'll never have enough space available to create an NTFS volume larger than about 2TB anyway).

4K is a perfectly fine cluster size for NTFS - there's really no reason to fret about it.

Solution

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

Good to know. I only have the one 3TB drive works great but on occasion gives me alot of trouble. I put it back in its external houseing i hope it doesn't get write errors again like it was doing. Damn seagate adapters suk, there drives are great but there adapters are horrible. I had the drive in my PC for a while and it ran great better letency then my 1TB drives and faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.