Is it worth overclocking?

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I've got a AMD Bulldozer 4170 @4.2Ghz and I'm using a Freezer XTREME Rev. 2 CPU Cooler & AsRock 990FX Extreme3 board. When I was using the stock cooler I'd have an idle temperature of about 30 degrees Celsius and now with the new cooler I'm about 44 degrees Celsius. Anyone know why that happens ? Also my CPU is running at 4.2Ghz so was wondering will it be worth overclocking it to 4.4Ghz or 4.5Ghz ?

Thank :)

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
you didn't put on the cooler or paste properly , maybe you used to much paste ? Is the cooler fan connected ?
Try cleaning off the paste and remounting the cooler , you should be around 22-25c idle with that cooler , 40-45 running cpu intensive stuff

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

Hi mate yeah I've done some Prime95 tests and now it idles around 30 degrees Celsius . Any tips on how to apply the paste?

Thanks

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
It's easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g

I wouldn't recommend spreading the stuff though. Put the cooler on flat and the paste will spread out itself pretty good. The biggest thing, don't use too much. Little more than a grain or two of rice is usually about perfect. After that, put the cooler on there slowly and apply pressure with the clamping system. Usually the pressure alone will spread the paste extremely well and work great.

Use your noodle here! Try it a couple times before bolting it down and going with it. Try a certain amount and make sure it works by pulling the cooler off. If it has spead over the CPU (at least 90-95%) and the heatsink; then you're pretty good to go.

What you need?

Thermal paste of course
Isopropyl Alcohol 70% or higher
A lint-free rage

Clean the CPU and bottom of the heatsink with each removal. Don't just some some on and close it up without cleaning it. That can be the worst thing to do! So clean it up; try a little bit and mount it. Then pull it back off and make sure it spread good and evenly. Then clean it back up and try again until you get the amount you need and then put it together.

Hope this helps!

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Hi there thanks for the reply , I've tried that before , by putting a grain of paste then letting the cooler spread it. I've run some tests to heat up my cpu and hopefully cure the thermal paste. Wish my luck !

Thanks

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Remember, test your application method before bolting it all the way down and going with it. Testing it a few times and perfecting it is better than 10C hotter load temperatures that become mind boggling! I know it's wasting; but that's insurance as all the tubes that you get have more than just one or two applications worth in them!