Is this card dead? (8800 GTS)

kinglou

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Hey all. So I dusted off my old 8800 GTS to pop into one of my computers but I noticed one of the silo thingys came off. Please see the pic for a better description. Its a water cooled card so I can't test it without going through the hassle of hooking it up to the water cooling loop. I am imagine there are no wasted parts on a gpu.

Please take a look.

8800gts.jpg

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005
BFG has a lifetime warranty, and it doesn't appear abused.
I'm sure this kind of thing has happened before
because I've come very close to tapping one of those against the HDD cage
once or twice. notice how on newer cards they don't really place them on the square edge like that anymore.

@ Kinglou: Magneezo has a point on the warranty, no harm in trying their 24/7 line for information.
If that is a no go those components can be replaced, it looks to be just a capacitor, they cost pennies and any competent electronics repair engineer can do so quickly enough. Try your local 'mom and pop' computer store, a TV repair shop or similar.

RMA if you can but if you are out of luck go out to any hard ware store and pick up your self a solder iron as well some resen core lead/tin solder along with some insulated wire. I bought a dead 8800gtx off a shop last year and all it took to get it running was 3 new caps.