HD5850 problems

Hello,
i am having problems with my new graphic card. when i play direct x10 games my screen turns black and i have to restart manually. Also when watching fullscreen videos on youtube the same thing happens.
Does anyone have any advise??
10 answers Last reply
More about hd5850 problems
  1. do you have the latest driver/hotfix? It may help:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Grey-screen-and-vertical-line-corruptions.aspx

It sounds like a slightly different issue, but I would not count out a sub-par driver.

If you have not already done so:

uninstall your driver, run driver sweeper, and reinstall hotfix.

If its something else, may have to dig deeper.. keep us posted

Edit:

Also if you could give your hardware/system info it might help.
  2. Prossesor: intel core i5 cpu 750 @2.67ghz(4CPUs)
    Memory: 4gb corsair ddr3
    Case: Antec 300
    Video Card: Hd 5850 Asus
    Power supply: Antec True Power 550W
    Motherboard:Gibabyte P55-US3L
  3. I ran driver sweep and reinstalled the driver that you gave me and it didn't work. I don't know what to do! Is there anything else?
  4. I had just bought sapphire hd 5850 and I have a couple of questions. Why does the driver suck? CCC or Catalyst Control Center is really horrible.. I know the card is pretty new so are they going to make a better driver soon? Also if i close the driver off my tray would that make my gaming better or would the driver still be used? Should I install the driver off the cd or off the site? I did both and they were both the same thing atleast that's from what i can tell.

Also I don't know if this is the video card's problem but i've been getting a lot of lag in my games. The net graph from cs1.6 shows that i get 0 choke and then it jumps to 35 when there's ppl on my screen also some 1 or 2 loss. And in sf4 even in trainingmode which is not online, the animation moves a lot slower like a couple of miliseconds after my inputs which I had never had this problem with my 8800gt.

Am i setting the drivers wrong? What settings should I be using?? The graphics are really good tho, youtube videos look hd which is amazing.

Sorry for the load of questions but I need helppp could there be a bottleneck somewhere?
  5. yzaken said:
    Hello,
    i am having problems with my new graphic card. when i play direct x10 games my screen turns black and i have to restart manually. Also when watching fullscreen videos on youtube the same thing happens.
    Does anyone have any advise??

Hey I just recently built a core i7 860 build and got a 5850 to go along with it. First day in windows 7 I noticed that whenever I would go to watch a YouTube video, play a game, or come out of sleep mode my computer screen would go black.

You need the Hot Fix it will fix everything.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

If you are worrying don't. It's a common problem... Just make sure you download and install this for your version of windows.

cheers. :D
  6. If the above does not work try flashing your bios on your motherboard to the latest.

I have a GIGABYTE P55A-UD3 and also flashed them to version : F4 at the same time as the hotfix but I'm pretty sure the hotfix is what fixed it. gl
  7. i downloaded and installed the hot fix and i still have the problem. How do i flash my bios??
  8. yzaken said:
    i downloaded and installed the hot fix and i still have the problem. How do i flash my bios??

ok I saw that you said u had a GIGABYTE P55A-US3L
    but I think you meant UD3L.. anyways the latest bios can be found here if you have the GA-P55-UD3L if not just go to previous page and you can find the other models. http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3169

I used the bios update tool from their site too to flash them. It was really easy compared to what I was expecting. It is called @BIOS.
    It is the 7th one down on this page. http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Utility_List.aspx

Just install the program and select the bios file you downloaded from the first link (dl the F4 version its the latest.) I did these steps in order....

1)Uninstalled graphics drivers for HD5850
    2)Flashed BIOS to version F4
    3)Re-installed latest catalyst drivers from ATI's site.( v9.12 I think )
    4)Installed Hot-fix and then everything worked. No more black screens from YouTube or gaming. Hope this helps just keep us posted.
  9. Oh and there is a quick and easy way to SAVE your previous version of your currently working bios on the tool I believe. Do that too.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Graphics