Won't Boot - Power Issue?

kungfused

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Hey all,

Ah, the letdown that is a shiny new build that won't boot.

This build contains:
- Intel i5 750 processor with the stock HSF
- Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard
- OCZ ModXStream 500W power supply

When I power on, the case speaker emits continuous short beeps, which the mobo manual says is a "power error."

At this point I've disconnected everything save the 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors to the mobo, the cpu, and the hsf. (So, just the three components above, attempting to live together in harmony. And failing.) Still get the power error. The CPU fan and PSU fan both spin up and continue to spin while the case speaker screams, and There Are Four Lights on this motherboard's phase LEDs, which "indicates the CPU loading," according to the mobo manual.

Anything further I can do to determine which of the above components is the troublemaker?

Thanks!
-Kyle

kungfused

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Thanks for the reply!

I worked my way through that checklist before starting this thread -- at this point I've done what is in the "what jsc often posts" bit of that post and disconnected everything save the PSU and HSF. Rather than silence or long beeps, however, I get short beeps for the "power error." I'm wondering if there's a good way to isolate which of the three remaining components is the problem.

Cheers,
-Kyle

quicksilver111

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I have the exact same problem. The fans all turn on and I get a continuous fast beep when trying to boot up the computer. I can't seem to find what's wrong.

ASUS VH242H 23.6"
Cooler Master Storm Scout
Intel i5-750
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600
Corsair 750W
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
ASUS PCE-N13