Sign in with
Your question

Computer doesn't recognize the new RAM i installed

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2010 11:38:14 AM

Hello to all.
I'm new here, and english is not my first language so please bear with me :) 

So i have an old pc which has only 512mb or ram and i wanted to upgrade his Ram memory to 1024 (by adding another stick of 512mb)
Here's the specifications of my motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-K8NS
Bus Type AMD Hammer
Real Clock 200 MHz
Effective Clock 200 MHz

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 754
Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 3 DDR DIMM

the old stick is:
Memory DRAM
Description: ADBGB1916, 512, 64MX64, 4B/SSTL2, 8K/64ms, 184, (32MX8)*16
Company: A-Data Technology

and the new one i have bought is:
Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 DDR, 512MB, 400MHz PC 3200 64bit

now after installing the two, the pc only recognizes one of them or non of them, when i checked them separately every one worked fine, but when together only one of them works but either way the pc wont start up and will stay stuck at the first black screen at the start when it counts the cpu memory drives etc..

please help me to resolve this problem, any suggestions will be great.
Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2010 11:37:45 PM

P.S

The pc now works with the newer memory stick, the Kingston KVR400X64C3A, the pc functions and boots normally with it, it's only a problem when i put the two together the Kingston and the A-data memory sticks..

can the problem be something with the voltage ?
maybe i should change the voltage for the older one, the A-data memory stick ?

-when i put the two together i can't even go to the BIOS menu the boot screen freezes right after it "lists" the cpu name and starts the count of the Ram memory (the running numbers -512mb)

any suggestions ?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 10:23:02 AM

yeah i thought of that too, but i have a newer system already and this old one is for my little brother and it works fine (minus the memory issue), i just wanted to upgrade it a little for him.. thanks though.

any other suggestions ?
Related resources
October 4, 2010 10:28:11 AM

Incompatablility of the 2 sticks, hense why they both work on there own but not with each other.

Try them in each of the slots, then add the other in the free slot, see if that works.

If not, then buy another Kingston RAM moudle and that should work - OR RMA it back and get a 1GB Stick.
a c 239 V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 2:37:59 PM

A motherboard must use the same ram voltage for every stick. If the two sticks need different voltages to run, then you will have a problem. On the stick should be a voltage that is the maximum that the ram is capable of using.

Try raising the voltage to see if that solves your problem.

Faster speeds can come from overclocked slower ram. Try lowering the speed of the ram. The penalty for slower ram will be more than offset with the performance with more ram.

Test your ram with memtest86+

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 3:49:45 PM

Thanks for your reply, reccy and geofelt.

I will try to play with the array of the two, i already checked them both with memtest, no problems there, as i said they work fine separately there's only a problem when put together.

I will try the voltage method as suggested, can you please guide me on how to do this ?
-how to change the parameters and the voltage in the BIOS

@malmental
My brother is only 9 years old, i think that for his first pc it will do fine
and don't worry he likes me very much already ;) 
a c 239 V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 3:55:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, reccy and geofelt.

I will try to play with the array of the two, i already checked them both with memtest, no problems there, as i said they work fine separately there's only a problem when put together.

I will try the voltage method as suggested, can you please guide me on how to do this ?
-how to change the parameters and the voltage in the BIOS

@malmental
My brother is only 9 years old, i think that for his first pc it will do fine
and don't worry he likes me very much already ;) 

I do not know your bios, but the ram controls should be there. Perhaps under the overclocking menu's.
October 4, 2010 8:51:02 PM

It could be that the motherboard may not support overclocking featues. But it would be under something like DRAM Voltage or RAM/Memory Voltage. What you need to do is check the voltage of each either on the stick itself or from CPUID.

Due to Kingston being a pretty decent make anyways, i would over/under voltage that one as these seem to be the better makes of RAM
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 9:12:41 PM

I've downloaded CPUID and it shows that the voltage is 2.50V for the new memory stick - Kingston.
so now to try the other one - A-data, or check the BIOS first and change something there ?

Thanks for the help so far guys :) 
a c 151 V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 10:07:26 PM

I would return the stick you purchased or get a matching pair or get another matching stick. Maybe find a match to your original stick. You're probably gonna have constant problems with these two sticks. There's never any guarantee that unmatched sticks will work.
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 12:03:48 AM

The easiest way to solve your problem is to do as reccy and spooky suggest. The Kingston will most likely be the easiest to match. Go to your favorite bestbuy or here at ebay for only $20. Or find a matching pair of 1 GB sticks so he can play his batman lego games and stuff. Course that'll cost you bout $100 bucks and he might start liking you again :bounce:  LOL.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2010 12:35:11 AM

Ok guys i did some thinking and i guess i'll need to buy another mach memory stick then ? (same Kingston stick)

maybe a 1GB stick..

any final suggestions ?
a c 151 V Motherboard
October 6, 2010 9:17:34 PM

It will probably work OK. I don't think your board memory is dual channel. If it is dual channel, it probably won't work. Make sure the sticks have the exact same specs.
October 7, 2010 10:49:07 AM

Ok will do

Thanks very much to everyone !
Have a Great day ! :) 
!