Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Socket pin bent? Does this happen?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 20, 2010 1:06:02 AM

Just received all my components in the mail, including a Gigabyte X58R-UD3R from newegg.com. It arrived fine, no sign of damage. Took the socket protector off the mobo, and noticed one of the pins SEEMS to be out of alignment. They're so small, it's difficult to tell, but one of them doesn't line up within the rows. It basically looks like it's sitting between rows.

What do I do? Should this be obvious? Is it a common occurrence, a regular defect to look for? I turned up the resolution on my camera and surprisingly it came through fine, even I can barely see it with the naked eye:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3049/cimg0254v.jpg

Can I fix this, like with a pin and a magnifying glass? Or is this one of those "return it immediately you idiot" type of issues? Just don't want to wait another week to build this.



-Dan




More about : socket pin bent happen

February 20, 2010 1:37:45 AM

ever0095 said:
Just received all my components in the mail, including a Gigabyte X58R-UD3R from newegg.com. It arrived fine, no sign of damage. Took the socket protector off the mobo, and noticed one of the pins SEEMS to be out of alignment. They're so small, it's difficult to tell, but one of them doesn't line up within the rows. It basically looks like it's sitting between rows.

What do I do? Should this be obvious? Is it a common occurrence, a regular defect to look for? I turned up the resolution on my camera and surprisingly it came through fine, even I can barely see it with the naked eye:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3049/cimg0254v.jpg

Can I fix this, like with a pin and a magnifying glass? Or is this one of those "return it immediately you idiot" type of issues? Just don't want to wait another week to build this.



-Dan



Dan, there is one thing for certain, if you attempt to straighten that contact and it breaks off you just bought yourself a M/BD.

If I was you I'd return that thing as soon as possible!
February 20, 2010 1:47:57 AM

arthurh said:
Dan, there is one thing for certain, if you attempt to straighten that contact and it breaks off you just bought yourself a M/BD.

If I was you I'd return that thing as soon as possible!


Yeah, that's what I was afraid the advice would be. So tempting to try to just realign it. But I sppose not $200 tempting.

Thanks for the advice arthurh. Have you seen this or heard of it happening before?

-Dan
Related resources
February 20, 2010 2:04:41 AM

Quote:
Have you seen this or heard of it happening before?


Only on a M/BD I bought off eBay, not a new one. Thou I'm sure it could have slipped thru quality control.:) 

Good luck to you.
February 20, 2010 2:06:51 AM

I've heard of it before, used to be somewhat common when trading used CPUs and such. Used to take a click type pen, click it off so that you have a nice cubby hole in one end, and carefully use the pen to bend the pin back, they're pretty sturdy, but when you pay 200$ for something, it should be right the first time. I've successfully bent them back into working order, but in your case, best to not chance it.
February 20, 2010 2:15:51 AM

jossrik said:
I've heard of it before, used to be somewhat common when trading used CPUs and such. Used to take a click type pen, click it off so that you have a nice cubby hole in one end, and carefully use the pen to bend the pin back, they're pretty sturdy, but when you pay 200$ for something, it should be right the first time. I've successfully bent them back into working order, but in your case, best to not chance it.


Ever since socket 775 Intel has little pads on the CPU and VERY little spring contacts in the socket to mate up with the CPU. That click type pen would not work on his 1366 socket my friend.

You are right about the old pin type CPUs but these new sockets are sub miniature! :whistle: 
February 20, 2010 2:22:32 AM

Thats damaged for sure.

Those type of pins CANNOT be straightened.
I've tried and failed every time. Return it.
August 6, 2012 7:30:38 PM

I even fixed a broken pin using another broken pin from and old and dead MOBO and cutting it to half and sliding it below the broken pin, when the processor presses against it, it made contact ^^ I felt freaking pro when that actually worked xD
!