arkansastexan

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hello, I have a Dell XPS 400 with all OEM. I was wondering if my hard drive from this PC would be compatible in my other PC, a Dell Dimension 4550 also with all OEM? I need to retrieve some files from the XPS as I am having problem with it booting into Windows and I am working on resolving this issue but need the files from the XPS NOW

Yes you can connect the hdd to your other computer and retrieve files off of it provided they are the same version , both 32 bit or both 64bit. You may even be able to do an easy transfer from one computer to another with a usb cable that has male A ends on both ends. Do both computers have the same OS?

arkansastexan

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hello, I have a Dell XPS 400 with all OEM. I was wondering if my hard drive from this PC would be compatible in my other PC, a Dell Dimension 4550 also with all OEM? I need to retrieve some files from the XPS as I am having problem with it booting into Windows and I am working on resolving this issue but need the files from the XPS right away. The XPS is running Windows XP MCE and the 4550 is running Windows XP Home Edition.

Is what I have I asked feasible and if so, how exactly would I go about performing this task?

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
just install the hard drive into the 4550 an boot into windows. all your files will be there, but you may have a problem with file permissions. a quick google search should provide enough info on this though.

Or
Insert the XPS HDD ie XP MCE into the dimension and boot from it into safe mode.
let it set in, log onto XP MCE with your usual credentials creat a folder in the XP Home Edition Drive as Backup or whatever you like and copy all the files that you want from the XP MCE hdd to that folder.
Do all this in safe mode.
Shutdown rig once done, remove the XPS HDD, ie the XP MCE drive and get back to our usual booting into XP Home Edition.
It won't know the difference.