Sign in with
Your question

What is the minimum MacBook needed to run Logic Studio software

Last response: in Mac Os X
July 13, 2010 3:53:30 AM

I'm going to be attending Berklee College of Music this fall, and am going to be taking classes in producing music using the Logic Studio software. As such, I need to get a Mac to use the software with (as well as a bunch of other stuff). However, after the cost of classes, and all of the other stuff I am going to need (Audio interface, microphones, etc) the budget is getting pretty close. Since I have no space in my own home to do recording, my choices are already restricted to the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines, and the lack of Firewire leads me to believe that the MacBook isn't a good choice, so I need to know what will be able to fully handle the Logic Studio software without any hickups. Will I be able to get by with the basic 13" Macbook Pro? Or will I need to go with one of the more powerful (and expensive) 15 or 17" ones?

If you don't have experience with Logic Express/Studio, or atleast experience with equivalent software, please don't try to recommend anything.
February 3, 2011 1:14:30 AM

DraconianGamer said:
I'm going to be attending Berklee College of Music this fall, and am going to be taking classes in producing music using the Logic Studio software. As such, I need to get a Mac to use the software with (as well as a bunch of other stuff). However, after the cost of classes, and all of the other stuff I am going to need (Audio interface, microphones, etc) the budget is getting pretty close. Since I have no space in my own home to do recording, my choices are already restricted to the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines, and the lack of Firewire leads me to believe that the MacBook isn't a good choice, so I need to know what will be able to fully handle the Logic Studio software without any hickups. Will I be able to get by with the basic 13" Macbook Pro? Or will I need to go with one of the more powerful (and expensive) 15 or 17" ones?

If you don't have experience with Logic Express/Studio, or atleast experience with equivalent software, please don't try to recommend anything.

any of the current generation macbooks can run Logic Express/Studio. The main issue you would run into with the 13 inch macbook is that they currently only use a core2duo processor. if you are taking classes for music production, you will probably want a faster processor which is only available in the 15 and 17 inch models. these offer quad core i5 and i7 processors. an SSD would also help with the audio encoding but not a necessity.

short answer: yes any of the macbooks will run Logic Studio but you may want to spend the extra cash on one that will make the experience more enjoyable. nobody wants a program to bog down, especially when its trying to encode!

hope this helps
!