Sign in with
Your question

Wireless speed < 500kbps on 30mb/second connection.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 7, 2010 10:57:19 PM

We have two computers, a laptop and a desktop that runs on wireless. We have a 30mb/s internet speed connection. Up in till yesterday I would get consistent 10mb/s speed when I ran tests on both the laptop and the desktop. When I plugged directly into the modem it would get about 25mb/s, obviously a little less with the wireless but it was still fast enough so I didn’t bother with why it was less.

However as of yesterday the wireless has slowed down to almost a stop. When running the same speed tests I get max 1mb/s and on average between 300kbps-500kbps. I reset the modem, reset the wireless, changed the password... how ever no change in the excessively slow speeds. When I plug directly into the modem I still get 25mb/s so there must be some issue with the wireless router. I how ever have no clue how to proceed beyond what I’ve already done.

My router is the WRT54G Linksys.
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2010 11:58:29 AM

FrenchAffair said:
We have two computers, a laptop and a desktop that runs on wireless. We have a 30mb/s internet speed connection. Up in till yesterday I would get consistent 10mb/s speed when I ran tests on both the laptop and the desktop. When I plugged directly into the modem it would get about 25mb/s, obviously a little less with the wireless but it was still fast enough so I didn’t bother with why it was less.

However as of yesterday the wireless has slowed down to almost a stop. When running the same speed tests I get max 1mb/s and on average between 300kbps-500kbps. I reset the modem, reset the wireless, changed the password... how ever no change in the excessively slow speeds. When I plug directly into the modem I still get 25mb/s so there must be some issue with the wireless router. I how ever have no clue how to proceed beyond what I’ve already done.

My router is the WRT54G Linksys.

Can you cable one computer to the router and test the speed? That would point to wireless being the problem if you can get a decent reading while wired.

m
l
April 8, 2010 4:08:28 PM

When I plug directly into the modem or with an Ethernet cable into the wireless router I get 25mb/s speed, the slow speed is only when connecting with the wireless.
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2010 4:19:49 PM

FrenchAffair said:
When I plug directly into the modem or with an Ethernet cable into the wireless router I get 25mb/s speed, the slow speed is only when connecting with the wireless.

This is one reason why it isn't recommended to use a wireless connection for mission-critical applications - high-end accounts programmes and the like. Gamers also won't go near wireless if they can avoid it. In your case, though, that's a huge loss and might be caused by channel roaming. Can you change the settings in your wireless adapter to suit those in the router? Some adapters allow the change - others do not.

m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 10, 2010 11:42:50 PM

Yep, cable Ethernet is always better, less latency. But you should get the 25mb/s. It can be your router, these old routers cannot handle big speeds, I had the WRT54GS ddwrt and with Ethernet, it would never give speeds faster than 2-3mbps (20-30 mb/s), after upgrading it to a DIR-825, speeds went to 5.8-6 mbps ( ~50mb/s). With wireless, you need a good router/wireless strength and a good wireless card to support such high speeds. N router + N card. Could also be interference, when som1 in my house use the microwave, my wireless signal drop to 1mbps and sometimes disconnects. With a G USB adapter, my speeds hovered at around 1.5mbps, with an N USB adapter, my wireless speeds went to 4-5mbps.

Maybe rent a router from a friend or upgrade to an N router.
m
l
!