I7-2600k overclock noob could use a hand

demax51

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
mobo: MSI p67a-gd65
CPU: i7-2600k HS: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | 1 x 120mm fan
Memory: 4 x 4Gb Corsair Vengeance
GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX560 ti Classified
Case: Rosewill Thor V2 Full, 1 x 230mm side intake, 1 x 120mm bottom intake, 1 x 230mm front intake, 1 x 140mm rear exhaust, 1 x 230 top exhaust

When I first built my computer (my first build ever) back in January, I did a pretty simple overclock ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7mHYCd1Jho ) by bumping up the turboboost to 42, but now I want to actually try to overclock this thing to 4.5.

I found another youtube video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZX7p6vY42A ) which led me change these three settings:

1. Set CPU Ratio to 45
2. Set vcore to 1.28
3. Disable Turboboost

The computer boots successfully and I can run Prime 95 for 4 hours without crashing, but my core temps seem a little high. After 4 hours of stress testing, core temps are: 60 71 70 67

I know that doesn't seem too hot, but right now it's winter, and my room is literally 12.5c (got to afford all these computer parts somehow). When it's summer, however, my room can get up to 37c - if my cpu's running near 70 now, what happens when it's the middle of August and my two GTX 560's are chugging away?

So my question is, are there other settings I should be changing to potentially give me better heat, or require less vcore?

Should I invest in, say, a Corsair h100 so that I don't have to rely on air cooling in the summer months?

Any advice at all would be welcome, and thanks very much.

Your core temps are that high during a prime95 stress test your fine... if your temps are idling at those high numbers...worry.

I think you did fine. But if you want cooler temps during the summer then a H100 or something along the lines might be recomended. Honestly the NH-D14 beats the h100 in raw cooling. but if your computer room is naturally hot I'd say a water cooler would be better..

What I like to do along with my friends is have a Winter OC and a summer OC... take advantage of the lower temps during the winter and boost my computer... then during the summer back off to a more agreeable frequency