Sign in with
Your question

Replace old asus p4b266LA motherboard

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 3:56:29 AM

Thinking about replacing my entire motherboard[ asus p4b266LA] I Was hoping someone here could give me some valuable input, as to what would be the best options for gaming etc. Not to mention what would be compatible with my current tower.[Same size MoBo,power cable etc.] If anyone needs any more information on my specs please say so.

Any help would be appreciated[& no im no tech expert so it may need to be dummed down abit thxz for understanding]
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 4:24:12 AM

thnxz for the reply MaD much appreciated.

Im wondering though would a gigbyte be the most compatible mother board for say a nvidia 8800 Gtx? aswell as some of the cheaper intel pentium 4 3.8-4.0 Ghz processors. Seeing as my budget for the new motherboard around 50-75$ same for the New processor i was planning on getting. But like i said before its also all about compatibility & gaming power. Because as of now my tiny intel pentium 4 1.8 Ghz is barely getting me over 10 fps. On most games not to mention the fact that i cant play any of the new game[Divinity 2/ infamous/Da:o ]

Once again any input Will be helpful^_^
m
l
February 20, 2010 4:37:27 AM

What city are you in ?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 4:39:34 AM

Im not Really sure how thats on the subject but conroe
m
l
February 20, 2010 4:48:18 AM

In Austin, we have a GOODWILL computer re-cycling center and, if you were from here, that is where I would tell you to go. I am being very serious, here.

Look in the Yeller Pages for "Computer Recycling" and "Used Computers".

You need to make VERY certain you have the correct power supply for what you get. Listen to what I am about to say. Don't try to match a replacement MB with the power supply that you have! Same goes with system memory ... Don't try to find a replacement board that matches the mem you already have UNLESS you can find a suitable proc to upgrade the motherboard that you now have .... If you should upgrade just the CPU, then max out your current motherboard to 4GB, at the same time, or at least 3GB.

Otherwise, I'll just tell you to get a paper-route or mow some yards, until you can come up with about $550 ... for that much, we could put you into something that makes more sense, for today's world (meaning fast enough for streaming video and some basic games and some righteous surfin' .

I know you want to salvage most of what you already have, but the only way I could suggest that, in good conscience, would be if you were getting some used parts at next to no cost. Save and dream, I'd say, until you can swing it.

= Al =
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 4:58:42 AM

lol thnxz for the reply alvin makes sense aswell save the money for the better motherboard aswell as processor. Here i also have a 3.8 Ghz processor just layin here but my motherboard doesnt support it :[ Thats the original reason why i decided to just upgrade my motherboard & hope for the best/ then i found that depending on what motherboard i get i may need to buy a new power supply/not to mention thinking about a new Graphics card/ than can handle 3.0 shaders for most Top end games.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 5:05:25 AM

And in conroe ive never heard of computer recycling but rest assured i will look into it. But otherwise the most we have here is circuit city.

Also about just upgrading my proc with the current motherboard i came on here about 7-8 months ago & someone replied showing me my system specs aswell as severaul other people & explained something about this mother board doesnt support new processors or something & they redirected me to try & flash my bios/ but as luck would have it/ icouldnt find my current bios software anywhere online in order to flash it.
m
l
February 20, 2010 5:06:35 AM

Also, BTW,I am typing on a Pentium 4(3.2c) Socket 478 system ... I still consider it to be fairly snappy for 80% of what I do. I could not find specs on your board 'cause it is kina old but, I,m pretty sure my proc and mem would fit in your board.

What I know (about my own situation) is that, at 3.2GHz, and already having an AGP4x (1GB) Geforce 8600 turbo video and also having got a new PSU to push it, ... Well, I'm just about maxed out (on mem too) so, this box will be my new "thin client" and I will still use it as a secondary research and reference system, as a print server, and to hang some peer-to-peer storage off of. It will be like an auxiliary computer, to take some of the "household" load of of my prime "workstation" .

Hey ... I am still saving and waiting, too ... just like you are. Do you need someone to mow your yard?

= Al =
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 5:10:19 AM

lol no need for the yard mowing have a horse that does that[lol yeh i know Tx, horse country] I know my comps old thats why i keep trying to upgrade the da1m thing just keeps gettin harder & harder it seems. :( 
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 5:13:48 AM

ALvin my bad it wasnt a 3.8 Proc ive got layin here its a 3.2 intel pentium 4 IM/800
SL7E5/67. When i did try & *install* it my computer would come on but show nothing[odd ehh] But when i put my old 1.8 back in worked fine :/ //
m
l
February 20, 2010 5:43:35 AM

Sad! Maybe thou should'st endeavor, yet, once again, to install that 3.3 ??

Get some thermal compound ... flat-back util razors ... make sure you got decent cooling ... scrape all that old paste offah the cooling plate ... Use bright lights and a magnifying glass to very carefully inspect and insert the pins. Make suree it is all the way down and pull the lever and lock it down. ... lay down a fresh coat of thermal paste and fire that b*tch up!. FAITH!

I mean, since Y'all is jus' sittin' around, watchin' the Pintos graze.

= Al =
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 5:53:39 AM

LooL i understood everything sadly enough ;)  except thermal compound. Where do i find that or maybe theres a solution/ Petroleum jelly example.?
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 5:54:18 AM

p.s Sorry took so long to reply was googling for maybe a bios flash update that may force support for it..
m
l
February 20, 2010 6:00:04 AM

Especially if the (always included) bios release notes make specific mention.

IDK if ASUS would still have them on tap, but they are available from some sort of internet support site. Really jus' depends on how much time and inclination you have to persue a solution.

So much has changed, in terms of architecture, that it seems to be utter folly, to spend any serious effort chasing after a dead platform.

I hear yooze guise got some decent Bar-Bee-Que, down thatta ways.

= Al = (Meyer's, in Elgin ... never pass by without stoppin' )
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 6:06:12 AM

LoL yeh i get what your sayin dead technology...like trying 2 find a line to replace a working telegraph :/ / [as in Bar-bah-Que boudain/Ribz/Buffalowingz/ aint nuffin like a ho3down with a few brewskyz & a hotplate.]

& about the 3.2 ive got settin here apparently itz common for people to use toothpast as a substitute for thermal gel/ & if dat dont work ima just save every dime to get a bettah Rig..
m
l
!