Want a new video card for old AMD Athlon

phillyk48

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I have an older computer but would like to upgrade my video card and would like some suggestions. Thanks!
My specs are:

MB: ASRock K7S41GX (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Chipset: SIS 741GX
AMD Athlon XP-A, 1933 MHz 2600+
1GB DDR SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz)
Windows XP PRO SP3
nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 AGP 128MB
onboard sound and LAN

Solution
I was just on Pricewatch this morning and they had barebones 3 GHz setup for $115!!! Granted, it had onboard video and audio and was pretty basic but it is hard to recommend buying the best AGP card available for around $60 when you can get a barebones with PCI-E, SATA and all that other good stuff.

But, if you are dead set on upgrading your current setup, the Radeon HD 3850 was the last AGP card that I know of and goes for around $60.

For $60, it's a decent upgrade but bear in mind, for just a bit more, you could just start from scratch with a new barebones setup.

BTW, my PC at home right now runs an Athlon XP3200+ with a Radeon HD3850 AGP card and while some of the technophiles here may scoff and look upon my setup with derision...

clutz

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
In my honest opinion, I would hold off and buy a new system when you have enough saved up. AGP is pretty much a dead technology and I don't even think they make newer AGP cards. If you had a PCI-E slot, that may be a different story.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I was just on Pricewatch this morning and they had barebones 3 GHz setup for $115!!! Granted, it had onboard video and audio and was pretty basic but it is hard to recommend buying the best AGP card available for around $60 when you can get a barebones with PCI-E, SATA and all that other good stuff.

But, if you are dead set on upgrading your current setup, the Radeon HD 3850 was the last AGP card that I know of and goes for around $60.

For $60, it's a decent upgrade but bear in mind, for just a bit more, you could just start from scratch with a new barebones setup.

BTW, my PC at home right now runs an Athlon XP3200+ with a Radeon HD3850 AGP card and while some of the technophiles here may scoff and look upon my setup with derision, it works just fine for me.

Solution

phillyk48

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I would love to completely upgrade my system, but at this time I have some financial difficulties and that is why I just thought I might upgrade my card for now. I know I'll have to eventually start saving for a total upgrade and I'll probably go through Pricewatch, so thanks amdchuck for letting me know about it.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
no problem phillyk.....darn financial issues. That's the reason I went with the HD3850 card as my last upgrade rather then a new system.

btw, I was not disappointed with my decision at all, that HD3850 card showed clear improvements in everything from plain ol' boot up time to multimedia and gaming.

For what I spent, I was satisfied with the purchase.