Help me find a good Grahics Card

igna86

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Hi guys,

Which graphics card would you recommend for my HP A6000N, specs:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=ca&dlc=en&docname=c00873231&lc=en?

I want to play games such as COD Black Ops 2, Fifa 13, GTA IV, Far Cry 2 etc preferably on high settings, nothing too demanding (I couldn't anyways because of my processor). There seem to be tons of options out there and I have no idea how to pick one that will be capable, will fit and with a good price-performance ratio.

I had decided on this one http://www.frys.com/product/6640304?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG after a lot of research but then one of the reviews I read said it's not good for games (listed gaming under cons).
My power supply is 400watts and not looking to upgrade power supply, so need a card that will run with the current.

I will be building a gaming pc in the near future, but until then I'm looking to save $ and just use my A6000N for gaming until that day comes. Looking to spend ~$60, less if possible and more if I have to.

I also have another question: If my processor (Amd 64 x2 dual 4200+) is only capable playing a game at low-medium settings, yet my graphics card + ram is more than enough, will I be able to play on high settings? I'm not sure how that works

ps. I'm using a 22" LCD monitor if that helps

Rich_

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

You wont be able to build a gaming computer with an athlon2 + 60 dollar video card. You could build a beefy office computer though.

igna86

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I'm not looking to build a gaming computer, just a computer that's capable of playing some games (games that were made few years ago, my pc is from 2007). I found this site called game-debate.com where you can tell if your computer will run a certain game. Does anyone know how accurate that site is?

o320

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

I want to play games such as COD Black Ops 2, Fifa 13, GTA IV, Far Cry 2 etc preferably on high settings, nothing too demanding (I couldn't anyways because of my processor). There seem to be tons of options out there and I have no idea how to pick one that will be capable, will fit and with a good price-performance ratio.

Really? That the amount of games you are playing appears as though you want a gaming computer though. You mention that you want to play games that were made a few years ago, but in your original post you say that you want to play games that not old at all, and in fact quite new and demanding as well- especially if you prefer to play them on high settings.
You might want to look at widening your budget, as ~$60 is no where near enough. Expect to spend at least $200 for a used or new video card if you want to play those games on high. Also to prevent being bottle necked, you might have to upgrade your CPU as well.
Heck, just save up and build a whole to gaming computer. You'd just be wasting money if you tried to upgrade your computer.
Not trying to be offensive, just sharing what I know from experience.

igna86

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
0320, this is where I get confused..you say that I can't play those games (and you 're probably right, I know my cpu is not that good) but according to game-debate.com where I search for games that I'm interested and check the specs, my cpu passes with a gray or green check mark (gray=med low green=med high). I get a gray mark for mw2, gray for gta iv, green for fifa 2013 and I even get green for far cry 2. That's why I wanted to know if the site is accurate. I figure if I upgrade my ram to 4gb (4gb ram will pass with gold check mark) and upgrade the graphics card (get a gold check mark there too) then I should be able to play at least on medium settings

I'm not looking to turn the pc into a gaming pc, I will build a nice gaming pc when I have money, but until then I want to spend $ only on a graphics card (and maybe I can use it on my next pc, so don' t mind getting a good/more expensive card)

o320

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I can guarantee that your computer cannot run Far Cry 2 on medium smoothly without any modifications and tweaks. In all honestly, I don't think the game-debate.com is reliable at all. In fact, I wouldn't trust any website that "rates" your computer to see if it is able to play games. I'm not saying don't trust the entire website, but don't trust the computer rating thing. They're extremely unreliable.
Don't upgrade your ram to 4GB, save your money for a future computer that you plan to build. You would be upgrading the DDR2 RAM, which is quite outdated nowadays.
You could buy a video card, but if you buy a good one that you plan to transfer to your future system, I doubt it would even fit in your A6000n. Not to mention that the PSU would put the entire system at risk if you fit a video card in there because it is nearly 5 years old..
I'd suggest saving money until you buy your new computer, rather than spending it on a computer that is obsolete.