Huge differences in Crysis with 3 5870s

I just got my trifire setup with 5870s, and the problem I am having is that for my Win7 games partition, I installed the 10.1 drivers and then Crysis and Warhead, (nothing else yet) Ran it at 2560*1600 with 8xAA and maxed every setting. Both games I'm getting around 2-5fps under win7. Under winXP, I'm using the same drivers, and getting 30-40+FPS with the EXACT same settings (very playable).

The Win7 parition is on a hdd all by itself it's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB drive.

The winXp partition is on a 500GB hdd with 3 paritions on it (one with XP 64, one with Vista64, and one with backup stuff. it's a WD Caviar blue 500GB hard drive

I'm running an ASUS M3A78-T deluxe with 8GB ram, PII965 @ 3.4,

Can win7 really be that big of a difference, or could it be that big of a difference reading from the hard drives??
11 answers Last reply
More about huge differences crysis 5870s
  1. Both the hard drives (7200.10, Caviar Blue 500GB) are not good.
    Caviar blue's performance is quite lackluster (mainly for NAS/Storage/Backup).
    I would reinstall Win7, then Catalyst, then the 5800 hotfix.
  2. I wouldn't say the HDD would cause that much difference, sounds like a driver issue. Make sure you have the right ones in the right place.
  3. microterf said:
    I just got my trifire setup with 5870s, and the problem I am having is that for my Win7 games partition, I installed the 10.1 drivers and then Crysis and Warhead, (nothing else yet) Ran it at 2560*1600 with 8xAA and maxed every setting. Both games I'm getting around 2-5fps under win7. Under winXP, I'm using the same drivers, and getting 30-40+FPS with the EXACT same settings (very playable).

The Win7 parition is on a hdd all by itself it's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB drive.

The winXp partition is on a 500GB hdd with 3 paritions on it (one with XP 64, one with Vista64, and one with backup stuff. it's a WD Caviar blue 500GB hard drive

I'm running an ASUS M3A78-T deluxe with 8GB ram, PII965 @ 3.4,

Can win7 really be that big of a difference, or could it be that big of a difference reading from the hard drives??

When you say you maxed all settings, do you max the settings when running them under Windows 7 too, or set them to be equal to Windows XP, meaning running DX9 instead of DX10 and .. is it High setting, instead of Very High?
  4. I have the settings maxed as high as I can on both. High on XP, but Very high on Win 7 both 2560 and 8xAA
  5. is there a way to change the settings to DX9 manually?
  6. Yes, in Windows Game Explorer; right click Crysis, then press DX9.
  7. "Crysis’ has always had a problem with multi-GPU arrays at 2560x1600 with AA enabled, so these particular results are meaningless."

Take a look at this page of the review, its all going well until 2560x1600 where it tanks.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-crossfire-nf200,2537-3.html

This is a known software error unfortunately.
  8. Have you tried to see how it works with just 2 in Crossfire? I'm running a CF setup and it runs very well in Win 7. It's possible that Tri-fire could have troubles with win 7.

At least it would help you find out where to look.
  9. I will have to check when i get home about running it in DX9 mode. I was suprised to see the results of that THG post showing the poor performance of Crysis even with 3x5870s so I'm thinking that maybe DX10 is the culprit here.
  10. Well, He's running High in Xp, an Very High in win 7, so that whats what with the FPS loss.
  11. I had the same issues running in DX9 mode under win7.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Hard Drives Crysis Graphics