New 2000-2500$ Gaming/Graphics Computer Help

kushpolak

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hello There.

Next month I will be building a computer for approx. 2000-2500$ CAD and im in a little bit of a pickle.

Before I post the specs I want everyone to know that if there are some modifications you see dont make the answer amd or radeon because I wont listen :)

Now my pickle is that I was planning on waiting for the GTX 480 but now they're saying its gonna be Q2 before thats in full swing and i simply cant wait that long. Now with all that being said what I would like to know is basically what should i use for my graphics? The 5970's are looking pretty good to me and I hate radeon bringing me to my other question being if and intel quad processor would have any impact on the speed of a 5970?

Thank you for reading

Intel Core i7-860
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115214&cm_re=Intel_i7-_-19-115-214-_-Product

EVGA P55 FTW
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188056&cm_re=P55_FTW-_-13-188-056-_-Product

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104155&cm_re=Kingston_KHX1333C9D3K2/4G-_-20-104-155-_-Product

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171048&Tpk=Coolermaster%20Silent%20Pro%20850W

Graphics......?

Any help would be appreciated :D

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
I see two approaches: . . .

1) Get something cheap, to limp on, until your most desired component becomes available ... or ...

2) Get something that comes as close as possible, to what you want/need, for the long run ...

I think both options are valid and viable.

Unless you are a student or a shade-tree engineer, I think you might do well to consider a real Workstation card. I know they might seem slower (to look at the specs) but, for CAD, they really are much better optimized, than a hot SLI card.

If you look at system requirements for Pro versions of AutoCad, I'm just guessing they spec out a ws card.

Regardless, here are some options to mull. I am not including "Option 1)", above, because you can decide how bad you want to limp, on your own, if the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133284

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133218

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130504

kushpolak

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
thanks for the quick reply

well the second option is 100% what im going with. unfortunately I actually am going to be a student for airplane design engineering so I do want a SLI card. Im going to have a Chassis and lots of fans keeping it cool so heat isnt really a problem.

1 think I forgot to add is that the graphics card needs to have a HDMI output because I am getting a monitor with that.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

why not go for a i7-920 build?
as far to the gpu, do the math: alvin suggested getting the gtx 295 which starts at 519.99$ in newegg.com (not available in newegg.ca) the ati5870 and 4870 X2 are at the same category and starts at 409.99 for the 5870 (429.99$ at newegg.ca) and 2x4870 costs 339.98$ (363.98$ at newegg.ca) havn't found the 4870x2, also the 5870 is dx11 and has lower power usage.
decide what is better for you.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Agreed ... Especailly for gaming, DirectX11 (latest OpenGL, etc.) are most important factors and, in case you were not aware, nVidia is having issues with heat and firmware, on their upcoming DX11 parts, so they do not have the latest offerings, in that important regard.

I do like the Dual GPU aspect of the 295 alot, because that gives max umph without going SLI (and giving up precious PCIe lanes).

... CAUTION ... WARNING ... Be sure to verify that one or both 5870's (the exact brand/model) are not too long for your setup.

I very much suggest using the power-search option (at Newegg) and sorting your results by "Best Rated", ... then, read ALL the reviews, sorted by "worst review first".

... You get a really good idea about physical and functional issues, that way.

= Al =

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

I really need you to explain why dual 295 are better then dual 5870?
what are the other uses of pcie beside gpus? I was aware only of gpus.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

sound cards use pcie2.0? I didn't know.
still that doesn't justify it, gpu is more important the the sound card usually.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
no no no no ...

Lots of RAID controllers need 4x lanes of PCIe

SSD slot drives take a 4x or 8x slot

Some of the fastest network pipes use them (or at least 1 full lane).

USB 3.0 adapter cards will use 1 or more lanes (those will be POPular soon!)

Same goes with Firewire and firewire 800 adapters (extra/dedicated).

Who knows what kind of 3d-vision and gesture control is coming down the pipe?

As far as sound cards go ... most of the regular ones are either PCI or just use one lane, but some of the pro studio breakout cards (8-16 XLR and MIDI connectors)

To some (OF US), PCIe lanes are very precious, indeed ...

Now, idn't that special ?

= Al =

kushpolak

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

unfortunately that would turn out to be too expensive. alot of the 2500 is being spent on the other components (250 for case, 300 for keyboard, 200 for sound system, 100 for mouse. at the moment im pretty much either bringing it down to either a GTX 295 or a HD5970. I would prefer for it to be the GTX 295 but I dont know if it will keep up the with 5970

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

I only (already) knew about the 295 having dual gpu because AVID EDITING requires nVidia parts and, even running a 295 (which works with AVID) is breaking the sys-req sppt rules which clearly state PNY QUADRO WS cards.

But you just taught me that there are dual 5870s and that is cool. Glad to hear it and I have no other prejudice, other than "professional compatibility certifications".

= regards =

If I am investing $2.5k in a system, I certainly ain't building in February:

1. CES was in January....that means all the cool new stuff that was shown hits store shelves starting in mid march.
2. Intel customarily drops CPU prices at end of February
3. Intel typically introduces new CPU's in early March
4. MoBo manufacturers are holding new MoBos back to tail on the new press releases from Intel.
5. New SSD's which will topple Intel G2 arrive in March
6. nVidia's new 400 series cards arrive in nVidia's 1st fiscal quarter, the middle of which is March 15th.
7. ATI's non-reference designs should hit soon in response to fermi.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
I almost always buy in August and build in Sept.
This lets the "shine" wear off those new toys AND it is just before "back-to-college" and just before most corporate fiscal purchase cycles and, also because it is the end of the "dog days of Summer", when everyone is on vacation, or not working, or have blown their tax refunds . . . Point being that sellers are usually cutting deals, about that time.

= Al=

kushpolak

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

This post was a HUGE help. Thank you very much. I was planning on actually building it the week of march. 22 so hopefully all the new stuff will be out. Thanks alot for all the responses guys huge help