i7-950
gtx590
gskill ram 3x4 12gb
1000watts
intel sata 2 ssd 80gb
window 7 home premium 64bit

question is

i recently ordered sabertooth x79 and i7 3820

and i gave my rampage mobo and i7 950 to another computer.

thing is .. for that mobo, do i have to change sata 2 ssd to sata 3? if its not necessery is it still benefit more to change sata 2 to sata 3?

and what about my RAM, ?i prob can afford max $200 for ssd

Solution
sata3 is backwards compatible with sata2 so you wont have any problems reusing the drive, and your ram will work too

on the sata2/3 change benefits, sata3 drives are almost double the data transfer speed of sata2 drives but it's not really worth upgrading if you're satisfied with the capacity of your current drive

main strength of ssd over hdd is basically no seek time which makes system feel more snappy, and even the slowest of ssd's provide that

only benefit you'd get from say vertex 3 is 2-3 sec faster OS boot times and slightly faster loading times in games

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
sata3 is backwards compatible with sata2 so you wont have any problems reusing the drive, and your ram will work too

on the sata2/3 change benefits, sata3 drives are almost double the data transfer speed of sata2 drives but it's not really worth upgrading if you're satisfied with the capacity of your current drive

main strength of ssd over hdd is basically no seek time which makes system feel more snappy, and even the slowest of ssd's provide that

only benefit you'd get from say vertex 3 is 2-3 sec faster OS boot times and slightly faster loading times in games

Solution