Radeon 5870 causing major problems

G

I just installed a Sapphire 5870 in my machine, and it is causing me some major issues. My computer is now periodically locking up hard with no warning -- I don't even get a BSOD -- my monitors go blank and the computer becomes entirely unresponsive. This happens at the desktop, and while 3d gaming. When it happens during gaming -- it seems to be when there is a lot of craziness on screen and the card is getting bogged down, while at the desktop it seems to happen totally randomly. I am running Windows 7, 64 bit Home Premium on a machine with an ASUS P6T mobo, Core i7 920, 3 GB DDR3-2000, and a 750 W power supply. Any thoughts?

G

Ok, sorry for the delay in responding -- I installed the hotfix and it has cleared up my issues in gaming. Now it only locks me out at the desktop, and it seems to be doing it frequently. Strangely, I found that if I log out, the monitor comes back on with the welcome screen, and I can log back in and everything will work fine. This is, needless to say, a pain in the buttocks. According to GPUz, I am running around 57 C at idle (which is where all my problems are). My PSU is a Corsair.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
I'm at 64c with 0% GPU usage with my 4850. Temp is fine. Ambient air temp is ~22c, motherboard temp is ~39c, i7 temp is ~41c. All of my fans are either off or low enough that I can't hear them.

gpus like to run a bit warm, no probs.