Sign in with
Your question

What to buy

Last response: in Memory
October 3, 2010 8:20:38 PM

First off, thanks for taking the time to help me out with this.

I have a general understanding of RAM and RAM latencies but I am unsure of what exactly I should be looking for at this time. I'm building a desktop for gaming and I'm looking for great performance; then again, who isn't?

What I'm wondering is whether I should get 7-7-7-18, 6-8-6-24, 8-8-8-24, 9-9-9-24, etc.

Currently I have an i7-930 on an Asus Rampage III Gene. It's tri-channel, obviously, and since I'm going for gaming on a 'relative' budget a 6-gig kit would work best, I assume. I of course plan on overclocking just about everything, and that includes the RAM that I get. As I understand it for my uses I should get 1600MHz RAM rather than 1333.

Here's the kicker though: I have a Thermaltake Frio air cooling block for my cpu, and it overhangs the first two slots on the motherboard (the frio is massive and the mobo is mATX) so whatever RAM I get is going to have to have a heatsink/heat spreader that doesn't extend much past the top of the RAM.

any help with this is much appreciated, thanks again!

More about : buy

a c 347 } Memory
October 3, 2010 9:02:09 PM

Obviously, you've installed both fans - I assume then the clearance is close to the NB/SB. If it were "me" options: A. Get a different CPU cooler, B. Ditto. The installations I've seen are only the closest DIMM slot is covered.
e.g. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermaltake_fri...

No, CPU cooler would be in my way over high-speed RAM; most 1600 is going to have "tall" cooling fins.

RAM in general {since all I recommend for gaming indeed have fins}; High Speed + Low CAS is always the better option. Therefore {7-7-7-18 @ 1333 is not as fast as 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 -- the 1600 under-clocked at 1333 may have CAS 6. Further, same speed 7-7-7-18 is faster than 8-8-8-24. However, 1600 MHz is the minimum speed for gaming that I would recommend.

I recommend {Corsair, G.SKILL, Mushkin, and Kingston}; in that order.

The Kingston Genesis line might be a consideration if the Thermaltake Frio rules the decision.
m
l
October 3, 2010 9:19:41 PM

i will certainly entertain the idea of getting a new cpu cooler; considering my current barely fits in my case (i had to rotate the frio 90 degree to make it fit; it blows air straight up now) it's certainly something that will probably have to be done. hrm.

okay, so considering that i now don't have to worry about fin size; i'm just restricted by budget.

1600mhz minimum i can understand; either way i'd be clocking it to 1800 or 2000 so it's not of major concern. should i then go 1800mhz stock? and if that's the case then should i get 6-8-6-24 or should i get 7-7-7-18?

m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
October 3, 2010 9:34:08 PM

Before throwing your money around I would think about what OC you're looking to achieve. Extreme OC then 1800 and maybe 2000 MHz, but most of those speeds are not achievable on air "easily." i.e. i7 930 @ 4.2+ then 1800 and above that 2000. Above 1600 the benefits become negligible and the faster RAM just makes BCLK adjustments easier w/o disparity CPU :: RAM.

Otherwise, the 1600 MHz will be fine and I won't push the 1600 much above 1700± where it will begin to error and/or cause a BSOD.
m
l
October 3, 2010 9:58:14 PM

well i'm considering the factors in this, so to speak.

the frio is big, too big; it blocks the RAM and takes up 1/3 the space in my case, and still barely fits. so i'm going to get a corsair all in one liquid cooler instead. it's tiny in comparison and will allow ram with massive fins to be used. i also have a massive 200mm fan on the side of my case blowing air directly onto the motherboard and the RAM, not to mention a 120mm fan in the front, two 120mm on the top blowing out and one 80mm on the back blowing out as well.

also, i don't know if it really matters or not for stability but my motherboard supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) and it has hyper-dimm support.

so, now that we're narrowing this down, 1600mhz is what i should get. but i'm still not understanding this latency bit and which will allow my computer faster/better
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 3, 2010 10:57:08 PM

krinkles619 said:
...get a corsair all in one liquid cooler instead.
...my motherboard supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) and it has hyper-dimm support.

I use the Corsair H50, but not the stock fan. I added (2) Scythe 120MM for push/pull or you can use (1) fan. OC > 3.8 MHz then use (2) fans and plug the pump into the CPU_FAN header, but change the BIOS to run the "fan" at 100%; good for monitoring the pump.

Certified {QVL} XMP is nice for "Stock or Rated" speed and it automatically populates all CAS settings, BUT the selection is very limited. Most of the time {except for Certified builds: Workstations/Servers} I use tested RAM. Example Corsair - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24-2T @ 1.65V http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 3, 2010 11:43:13 PM

hmm... at this point i'm almost not concerned with the ram anymore since i know what i'm getting (thanks to all your help) but now i'm way more concerned with how i'm going to cool my cpu.

you see, i have a nzxt vulcan m-atx case. if i plan on using the h50 liquid cooler, then i would have to find some way to mount the radiator. problem is, the radiator is 120mm and the back vent is 92mm. it won't fit there. the most common way to do it is a push-pull setup where the radiator is put in the front of the case. i may do that, though i doubt it'll be easy. any recommendations with that?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 4, 2010 12:12:03 AM

Well NZXT seems to feature the H50; keep in mind the radiator has a solid mounting bracket and the 120mm fan shroud on a 120mm exhaust is cuts-off / obstructs all 4 corners so the 90mm will work fine or exhaust it out the top.

m
l
October 4, 2010 12:24:35 AM

yes i saw that. it certainly looks like an h50 or h70 (my bet's on the h70 due to shorter tubes) but the problem is still the 92mm mount on the back.

what do you mean by a solid mounting bracket on the rad? do you mean that i could fit a 90mm fan on it in place of the 120?

also i already checked i won't be able to fit the rad in one of the top slots, it overhangs and hits something apparently, lots of people on nzxt forums talking about that.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 4, 2010 12:46:41 AM

{My guess is the H50 based upon width of the rad. Solid brackets, {corners/top/bottom}; no big deal; justifying the 90mm exhaust being okay to use... Top okay; do it the normal way @ rear.
m
l
October 4, 2010 1:10:23 AM

okay, i'll do it the normal way at the rear. but now how do i mount it on the back with a 90mm fan instead of a 120?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 4, 2010 2:06:37 AM

^ You know after reading -- just to make certain that "it fits" measure the clearance distance. I over looked the 92mm OEM... and now I am concerned that the 120mm will fit.

I am looking for the captioned rad unit.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 4, 2010 2:17:36 AM

It is an Asetek configuration; Cyberpowerpc / iBuyPower "might" sell you one.
m
l
October 4, 2010 2:20:17 AM

with my motherboard, because of the massive amount of stuff on the back panel, there's not much more room. i personally wouldn't push it more than a 95mm, maybe a 100mm if i'm lucky. the spacing is just not there unfortunately.

m
l
October 4, 2010 2:29:27 AM

BING i just thought about it while looking at the picture of the case!

do you think it would be possible to mount the rad on the outside somehow, leaving the fan i have on the inside and just having the stock 120 blowing out creating some sort of vacuum? then i can run the tubes through the liquid cooling tube rubber ports to the cpu block.

genius, right? now i just have to find a way to mount a big ol' radiator on the outside.
m
l
October 4, 2010 3:15:21 AM

why can't life be easy, that's all i ask Q_Q

i'm not bankrolling so i can't drop 300 dollars on a liquid cooling system, as much as i'd like to.

what is your opinion on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it's basically the same thing as the corsair only it looks cooler (in my honest opinion) and it seems to have longer hoses, making a front-mounting much more viable.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 4, 2010 4:09:20 AM

^ Same problem "CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO-R120" I assume the 120 means 120mm.

However, the side panel "seems" to pop-out e.g. width, and I still cannot imagine that you couldn't fit it (H50) in the top which are 120mm. {TOP, 2 x 120mm (1 x Orange LED fan included)} Yes, I remember what you said about the top - Dremel it out. Picture are a bitch to "really" see to be 100%. Worst case exchange w/Newegg.

Top {remember the CPU fan will not be there.}

m
l
October 4, 2010 4:40:05 AM

jaquith said:
^ Same problem "CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO-R120" I assume the 120 means 120mm.

However, the side panel "seems" to pop-out e.g. width, and I still cannot imagine that you couldn't fit it (H50) in the top which are 120mm. {TOP, 2 x 120mm (1 x Orange LED fan included)} Yes, I remember what you said about the top - Dremel it out. Picture are a bitch to "really" see to be 100%. Worst case exchange w/Newegg.

no, rather than dremel out the top fan sockets, which i happen to like with my two red led fans, i'm just going to drill holes in the rear of the case to force-fit it like i did with the 200mm side fan. worst case scenario i can just put the radiator in place of the front 120. this seems like the simplest solution, but time will only tell when i finally do get the parts together and have the time to build it.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 4, 2010 4:46:44 AM

^ Then use the 120mm LED fan already in place for the H50 RAD. Before cutting - the old rule measure twice & cut once - meaning before installing try different locations. Please upload photos once you're done - I'll be notified of your response and I'd really like to see your solution!

Good Luck!
m
l
October 11, 2010 2:30:41 AM

okay, so i brought my desktop up from my house to my college and i opened it up to check out the situation. contrary to what i thought, i was pleasantly surprised to realize that in my case i have 1 3/8" room between my cpu cooler and the top of the ram slots. 1 1/2" from the base of the ram slots to the cpu cooler. also, my cpu cooler only completely overhangs the 1st ram slot, and barely overhangs the second. now, i'm not going to put in super tall ram, but i can put in regular non-extended ram and short heatsink ram. this makes me ecstatic! now i don't need to burn 80 dollars on a new cpu cooler and rip apart the whole thing. my cost for finishing the computer just dropped from 250 to 150, which means all the sooner i can get this thing up and running. gonna be awesome!

here's some photos; in one of them you can see the side mesh panel that i put a 200mm fan on the outside of (won't fit on the inside due to the cpu cooler). sorry about the quality, my room's light wasn't good enough so i had to put a flashlight to it while i took pictures with my phone :??: 

let me know what you think; I'm optimistic about this and worst case scenario i'll already have the RAM so i'll just need to replace the cpu cooler.
m
l
!