Would i notice a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcore

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
At this time i am using a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache HDD, I am an advid MMO Player, i mainly play Starwars: The Old Republic. Some of the load times are more then a minute.
My System:
Fx-8120
Hd 6970
16 Gigs of 1333 ram "Ripjaw"
and the HDD i mentioned above.

I am poor for a few months and i am looking for a cheap SSD. I found one, its a bit older but the deal is awesome.

the specs to this SSD are:

Patriot 128GB 2.5in SATA II MLC SSD
Sequential Read: up to 175MB/s
Sequential Write: up to 100MB/s

I am wondering if i were to purchase if i would notice a difference, i would load my OS on to it plus my games.

Thank you all for your time, i appreciate any help you can offer.

Solution
Have the Patriot Phoenix Pro for my boot drive in my I5-750 (Samsung 830 in I5-2500k and Cuicial M4 in my I5-2410M loptop).

The Phoenix pro works fine. Your choice would be slightly lower performance.

As WyomingKnott pointed out, it is not the Sequencial speeds that are important for a OS + program drive.

Going from a HDD -> even a low (NOT THE LOWEST end) sata II SSD is like night and day. The SSD will be about 20->40 times faster. The difference from going from a Sata II drive to a SATA III SSD is much smaller increase in performance. For example Loading windows 7, around 15 -> 20 Sec to load for a SATA III on Sata III port, while for a SATA II SSD on Sata II this time might be 30 -> 40 Sec (all dependes on user config and what...
You would notice a difference. It's not the sequential read rates that dominate boot and program loading, but random access. Any SSD will smoke any HDD.

In my opinion, 128 GB is plenty big enough. If you are in a hurry, go for it. If you are not in a hurry, and your motherboard has SATA III ports, you might save up for a faster one, but the gain from HDD to your candidate will be much bigger than the gain from your candidate to a current top-of-the-line SSD.

Going to a SSD will make a big difference on the load times but not the actual gameplay. It will cut down the map load times drasticly but the actual gameplay depends on your internet connection.
The read/write speeds for the SSD you are looking at is slow compared to sata3 speeds and depending on what you are paying for it buying new is always preffered over buying used. But as you have said you don't have much money so you have to go with what you can afford.

Have the Patriot Phoenix Pro for my boot drive in my I5-750 (Samsung 830 in I5-2500k and Cuicial M4 in my I5-2410M loptop).

The Phoenix pro works fine. Your choice would be slightly lower performance.

As WyomingKnott pointed out, it is not the Sequencial speeds that are important for a OS + program drive.

Going from a HDD -> even a low (NOT THE LOWEST end) sata II SSD is like night and day. The SSD will be about 20->40 times faster. The difference from going from a Sata II drive to a SATA III SSD is much smaller increase in performance. For example Loading windows 7, around 15 -> 20 Sec to load for a SATA III on Sata III port, while for a SATA II SSD on Sata II this time might be 30 -> 40 Sec (all dependes on user config and what is loaded at start up). For opening programs 1 blink of the eye for Sata III ves two, or three, blinks for the Sata II.

As stated for FPS, no increase over a HDD.
For File loads, while in play.
(1) If this requires download and load - No Help. If the file(s) are already downloaded and on the SSD, they will load much faster - if the File(s) called by the program are still on the HDD, again no help.

Only cavet - if this is a "used" drive, I'd probable forgo, If "new" then it would be cost effective.

Myself - even with a sata II SSD, I would not even consider going back to a HDD for my OS + Programs.

REMEMEBER - look up SSD tweeks and impliment the ones that make since.
Such as:
.. Disable Hibernation. Not a biggy since SSDs boot so much faster BUT does save an amount of disk space equal to your Ram.
.. Set Page file Min and max to the same size (try 1024 mb). This saves upto about 5 gigs. and push to shove can be set to the HDD with only a SMALL performance hit.
.. Limit Restore point as these can eat up a lot of disk space over time (and must be on the Boot drive). Myself I just disable and rely on my backup image file to restore.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.