Sign in with
Your question

New HTPC build questions.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2010 10:02:53 AM

Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to put together my first Home Theater PC. I want it to hold hundreds of movies from my DVD and Bluray collection, plus me very extensive CD music collection. I want to use some hardware that I already own so I have some questions.

1. I have two 500GB HDs in RAID right now using Windows 7 and my E5200 CPU. Should I keep the RAID setup for my HTPC?

2. The biggest reason I'm doing this is because a friend of mine is giving me his Q6600. I'll be using this CPU in my everyday PC on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard. Is there an inexpensive MB option for my HTPC using the E5200 CPU?

3. Considering the answer to #2, will I need a new GPU? I'll be using a 9800 GTX+ in my everyday computer.

I will want to be able to watch the stuff from my HTPC on multiple TVs throughout the house but that can come later, but keep it in mind. I would also like to use my HTPC as a DVR but that can come later as well.

Thanks for the help in advance. I have not been on this website for awhile so if I missed the HTPC Category please advice.

More about : htpc build questions

February 20, 2010 2:23:38 PM

Dunkel said:
Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to put together my first Home Theater PC. I want it to hold hundreds of movies from my DVD and Bluray collection, plus me very extensive CD music collection. I want to use some hardware that I already own so I have some questions.

1. I have two 500GB HDs in RAID right now using Windows 7 and my E5200 CPU. Should I keep the RAID setup for my HTPC?

2. The biggest reason I'm doing this is because a friend of mine is giving me his Q6600. I'll be using this CPU in my everyday PC on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard. Is there an inexpensive MB option for my HTPC using the E5200 CPU?

3. Considering the answer to #2, will I need a new GPU? I'll be using a 9800 GTX+ in my everyday computer.

I will want to be able to watch the stuff from my HTPC on multiple TVs throughout the house but that can come later, but keep it in mind. I would also like to use my HTPC as a DVR but that can come later as well.

Thanks for the help in advance. I have not been on this website for awhile so if I missed the HTPC Category please advice.

/bump
m
l
February 27, 2010 1:39:41 PM

no love
m
l
!