Sign in with
Your question

AMD Fx-4100 Multiplier Fluctuating Cool N' Quiet Disabled.

Last response: in Overclocking
December 2, 2012 9:30:11 AM

I'm at a loss on why my multiplier/voltage continues to fluctuate(using CPU-z) even under full load! I have disabled Cool N' Quiet, all CPU auto power control related options in BIOS, the CPU power management setting in AMD catalyst control and in windows power options. My OC are all settings are all manual not auto.

Hardware:
CPU- AMD FX-4100
MOBO- Asrock 970 Extreme 3(BIOS 1.20)

I've searched everywhere and found nothing other than people yelling turn off Cool N' Quiet which doesn't apply since it's already off. Any help would be great.
December 2, 2012 9:50:28 AM

Check voltage in bios for all output voltage are correct if wrong service psu.
December 2, 2012 9:51:42 AM

Change windows poweroption to high performance.
Related resources
December 2, 2012 10:01:43 AM

Which psu u r using .check with above 750w psu. overclocking wants extra power.
December 2, 2012 5:38:37 PM

The windows power options are set the high performance, I have my voltage set to 1.285 and a 650w PSU. Currently I'm only overclocking to 4.0ghz, 3x increase from the stock multiplier. I've tried upping the voltage and it wasn't making a difference.
February 7, 2013 5:15:45 PM

phatty15 said:
The windows power options are set the high performance, I have my voltage set to 1.285 and a 650w PSU. Currently I'm only overclocking to 4.0ghz, 3x increase from the stock multiplier. I've tried upping the voltage and it wasn't making a difference.

Just found this thread, in case you still haven't found an answer here goes:

Had similar problems with an FX-8150 on a GigaByte GA-990FXA-UD5 motherboard. My voltage, FSB clock and CPU clock were all fluctuating a lot under load. More details and my solution can be found here: http://forum.ocbase.com/index.php?topic=69.0

By design AM3+ motherboards use voltage droop (lowering CPU core voltage under load) and throttling (reducing Bus/CPU clock speed under load) to protect the CPU from damaging itself. These functions are unrelated to power-saving features like Cool n' Quiet, C1E, etc.

Some motherboards let you set LLC higher than default (this reduces voltage droop) and disable APM (turns off throttling).

Check if the BIOS on your Asrock board allows you to adjust settings to increase Load Line Control (LLC) or disable APM. In my BIOS these settings were found on the Advanced BIOS Settings page.

Hope this helps.
February 7, 2013 5:26:54 PM

Oops, need to correct one mistake I made in my previous post. The Voltage Droop and throttling features in AM3+ motherboards are designed to protect the the motherboard's VRM circuit from burning out, not the CPU itself.
!