Intel Core i5 lynfield 2.66 and e8400

phesoge

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hello all,

I am building my first system and had a few questions. A friend of mine has a brand new e8400 that he will give me for 130 dollars. Should I use this chip or go to the quad core i5 for 200. I understand the e8400 is an older chip, and in the news system build guide it is generally reccomendeds to to go with a quad core on new system builds. When the entire system is finished I plan on running Windows 7 professional, and will use the pc mainly for gaming.
the max I want to spend on a cpu is 200 or 250. I guess Another concern of mine is will I be able to utilze all 4 cores of I go with the quad core, or should i stick with the e8400 because I am getting it for fairly cheap? if any of these questions seem ridiculous bare with me I am just getting into this stuff. lol.

thanks

phesoge

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Quick add to this. t follow protocol on new system build question which I should of done initially, and to give people better background of situation.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP. Now- 1 week.
System usage:Gaming, Movies, Web, Office apps, and multimedia. Will be running windows 7 professional.
Budget Range: 800 dollars after rebates.
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, Case (have a nzxt tempest)
Parts preference: Intel cpu
Overclocking: Doubtful

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
actually, the e8400 is a great cpu but the diff isn't favorable, you can find a good i5 build here in the forum but you might be able to get a better gpu if you decide to go the amd route.

phesoge

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I am going to be using 64 bit windows 7. Part of me wonders if I just go wih a q9500. I personally want to use an intel processor. Still not sure what to do. I am thinking I will most likely go with an ATI 5770 video card. Not sure how much that effects tis decision.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
YUP, that is the chip you want (if you don't want to step up to a socket 1366) ...

BUT . . . That mobo is a little ho-hum ... The only value I see w an INTEL mobo, for gaming, is ultimate stability and compatibility ... which are not THE very highest consideration, for most gamers ... nuclear engineers? .. yes.

Think on this: Gaming enthusiast (and you know they are many!) tend to ralley around certain mobos and other "popular components" so, over at NewEgg (as an example), it is very easy to find out what gamers are buying, and saying, about various popular performance and value components.

That said, You can prolly get more bang for your (same) bucks, with an ASUS or you could prolly find one just like that INTEL branded board, same chipset, et. al., for up to $35 less (and be as simple and stable).

Others on this forum see this same "config" every day ... it is "knee-jerk" (almost).

So I am just going to select your socket, at eggtown, and sort on "best rating", then YOU can scroll down and see if you want USB 3.0, or more SATA ports, or a second GB-Ethernet port (so you can chain p-to-p), etc.

Here is the list, sorted by "best rating" ... scroll for your price and features. Any mobo that shows i5 & i7 compatibility might be best (cause you may get around to an upgrd, in a few yrs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280%201070549182&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

= ! =

TRENDING THREADS