I would first like to know the exact socket/package type.
An actual mobo model# or a system model might be helpful ...
Also, sometimes a bios upgd is needed to support more modern procs and/or mem timings, so ... It would behoove "us" to get down to the exact mobo/model and sub-model, etc., so we can be absolutely certain what supportable solutions exist. No?
I like to read bios release history and notes, in order to see the evolution of individual systems and associated probs, relating to expansion. Good idea?
1) Budget: In *this* forum, nobody is tring to sell you anything you do not need. Really! SO ... It would be REALLY helpful if you can give BOTH the max amount you really would feel comfortable spending (and not more!), as well as EXACTLY which components that amount must purchase ... like, a hi-rez monitor adds a lot, so if that ain't part of the $$$=Build, say so.
2) Any preference ... AMD over INTEL (or vice-vera) ? Or are you simply interested in your "gaming experience per dollar" ??
Well, as far as the INTEL stuff goes, you're gonna need a popular (best cust rating) gaming board, proc, and memory.
1) The following list is socket 1156 motherboards which has been sorted by the bestest/mostest good ratings. Choose one of the 1st 10 (or so) boards, from this list. (one of the mobos with 5 star rating)
2) Then, once you/we see what mobo you choose, we will look at those specs, and pick out a mem kit with (prolly) 2 sticks of 2GB each (or more). Those kits are usually listed in the combo deals (or "cust also bought") for that particular mobo.
3) Last, you are going to need one of these (or higher)