Sign in with
Your question

Thinking of buying a SSD

Last response: in Storage
February 29, 2012 4:28:54 PM

Hey,

I was thinking of buying a SSD. I was looking at the Crucial M4 (128GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....
But I never had a SSD and I don't even know how you install it. But I don't know if it's possible to get this up and running on my system. Since I've heard stories of people saying that these SSD only work well on Sandy-Bridge processors.

System specs:
CPU: i7-870 @ 2.93 Ghz (Lynnfield)
MOBO: ASUS P7H55
RAM: Kingston DDR3, 8GB 1333 CL9 Kit 3
PSU: Antec Basiq Power BP500u

Regards,
Brian

More about : thinking buying ssd

a c 154 G Storage
February 29, 2012 6:05:53 PM

A SSD is essentially a fast 120gb sata drive.

If it is for a data drive, just install it like you would any hard drive.

If it is for the os, and the original os drive is the same size, then you can clone the original to the ssd and drop it in.

Better, yet, though is to do a new install on the ssd. For better ssd performance, set the sata mode to ahci first. nothing else really needs to be done.
February 29, 2012 6:07:45 PM

geofelt said:
A SSD is essentially a fast 120gb sata drive.

If it is for a data drive, just install it like you would any hard drive.

If it is for the os, and the original os drive is the same size, then you can clone the original to the ssd and drop it in.

Better, yet, though is to do a new install on the ssd. For better ssd performance, set the sata mode to ahci first. nothing else really needs to be done.

Yea, I'm gonna do a new fresh install. Since my PC is a little bit messy xD. So everything should fit on my motherboard? There should'nt be a problem then?
Related resources
a c 154 G Storage
February 29, 2012 6:14:40 PM

Firewood B B said:
Yea, I'm gonna do a new fresh install. Since my PC is a little bit messy xD. So everything should fit on my motherboard? There should'nt be a problem then?

No big deal. If you have 6gb sata ports, attach the ssd there. It will let you maximize sequential data transfers. Otherwise anywhere will do.
a c 154 G Storage
February 29, 2012 6:20:26 PM

Firewood B B said:
http://www.asus.nl/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7H55... - I have 6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports. Should this do?
Thanks for the fast response btw :) 

Looks good to me.

If you are still shopping, look for Intel or samsung 830 drives. They have a better reputation for reliability. Intel has a 5 year warranty.
February 29, 2012 6:22:20 PM

I like crucial m4 128gb version, is very good ssd.
I'm loving my ssd, deffo worth the investment.
Its was my 1st time doing ssd install, but read excellent sticky at top of page was great help. and didnt take long to do either
February 29, 2012 6:24:24 PM

I'll get the Crucial M4 128GB since a lot of people say it's a beast of a SSD.
Time to buy! Thanks for all the answers geofelt :) 
February 29, 2012 6:36:09 PM

geofelt said:
Looks good to me.

If you are still shopping, look for Intel or samsung 830 drives. They have a better reputation for reliability. Intel has a 5 year warranty.

Can't I use 2 3GB/s sata ports to combine them in to a 6GB/s sata port? I heard the performance of a 3GB/s sata port SSD is significant lower than using a 6GB/s sata port
a c 154 G Storage
February 29, 2012 6:45:35 PM

Firewood B B said:
Can't I use 2 3GB/s sata ports to combine them in to a 6GB/s sata port? I heard the performance of a 3GB/s sata port SSD is significant lower than using a 6GB/s sata port

No, a ssd attaches to a single sata port. You may be thinking of raid-0 which can get better transfer speeds whith two ssd's. It is not worth it.

The real value of a ssd is random i/o that is what the os does mostly. It is 50x faster than a hard drive. The random i/o response time from any modern ssd's are remarkably similar. Even sequential i/o is 2-3x faster than a hard drive.
Do not pay too much attention to synthetic benchmarks which are used for marketing. The loads imposed bear no resemblance to your normal desktop activity.

-----------bottom line------------
Don't worry about 3gb/6gb sata.
February 29, 2012 6:49:50 PM

geofelt said:
No, a ssd attaches to a single sata port. You may be thinking of raid-0 which can get better transfer speeds whith two ssd's. It is not worth it.

The real value of a ssd is random i/o that is what the os does mostly. It is 50x faster than a hard drive. The random i/o response time from any modern ssd's are remarkably similar. Even sequential i/o is 2-3x faster than a hard drive.
Do not pay too much attention to synthetic benchmarks which are used for marketing. The loads imposed bear no resemblance to your normal desktop activity.

-----------bottom line------------
Don't worry about 3gb/6gb sata.

Just saw some reviews of the Crucial M4 in 3GB/s about 248MB/s read and 211MB/s write. So that's pretty good. I'm using this for about a half year in this PC and after that I'll transfer it over to a new PC I'm gonna build.
a c 154 G Storage
February 29, 2012 6:59:22 PM

Do any of your apps do massive amounts of random i/o?
How fast can you hit enter on a PC?

The synthetic benchmark programs drive the ssd with as many consecutive i/o operations at high queue lengths to see what the max is.
What we do is mostly one thing at a time. At low queue lengths, it is the i/o response time that matters. Every SSD will be good at that, and they do not differ much.

On your desktop, you can not tell the difference in performance among any modern ssd.

What I am saying, is to ignore the benchmarks, and buy your ssd based more on price per gb, reliability, and warranty.
!