Sign in with
Your question

System shutdown during expanding files windows 7 setup

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2010 12:48:49 PM

Hi,
I recently built a new computer for my son (specs below) and each time I tried to install windows 7 I would get past where it lets you select the drive partitions and it would go to copying windows files. Then during expanding files each time at a different spot my computer would quit. The monitor would go black and the drives would stop chugging away but all of the fans would stay active. I would have to hold down the power button to restart. I've already solved the problem having tried swapping ram and disconnecting all of the peripherials. I read the forums here and that is how I came to the conclusion that it was a heat problem. The setup would not stop each time at the same place but at different places during the installation (and yes I tried XP as well thinking it might have been a driver issue). Comes to find out that the old nvidia 9800gt video card that I had taken from another computer was overheating. I replaced it with a new nvidia 9800gtx+ and the computer now runs smooth.

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL 4GB DRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
February 20, 2010 1:03:55 PM

That actually happenned to me, with a core-duo notebook, weeks ago.

Just like you said, except it died completely (I just assumed the external PSU went dead during the process... that's what I still think)

The disk is still "stuck" in the drive. (I know how to get it out, but have not).

I have been looking around for a new PSU/adapter, and have not sourced one yet.

I'll be watching this thread, if it stays alive.

( PS: It was a NewEgg OEM copy of Win7 Pro 32 )

= shrug? =
m
l
February 20, 2010 1:06:27 PM

What Win7 product (zactly) did you buy? Where from? When? 32 or 64? OEM? Retail?

m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2010 1:15:59 PM

win 7 enterprise 64 vlk

The issue was not with windows 7 though. As I tried installing XP and had the same problem, but in a different step of the process.
m
l
February 20, 2010 1:20:18 PM

Sounds like the PSU might be DOA (ish) ... new ?

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2010 1:25:47 PM

PSU is new but was one of those "comes with the tower" PSU's so although its 500w its still low quality
m
l
February 20, 2010 1:34:40 PM

500w should push it (tho you made no mention of graphics subsys) ...
... PSUs ('specially value-add models), tend to be a bit of a crap-shoot.

Either they carp-out right away, or after 2-3 yrs.

If you do have access to a 650-850w psu, in that class, you might try it.

What zact grphx card(s)? ... powered card(s)? ... SLI?

... just tryin' to get as many specifics as poss.

= Al =
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2010 2:33:22 PM

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit DDR3 is what is in it now.

The old card that I had put into the system originally was a BFG Tech 9800 gt 512 that had been in another computer of mine for a good while.

After removing that card the problem stopped persisting.

Both cards are powered by the PSU with the standard 6 pin connector.

The new card I would think to be a much bigger power hog than the old one. Do you think the power supply may be causing the 9800gt to overheat?

I have a 650w corsair in my box. I may pull it out and toss it in the new system to see if that solves the problem. It would save me from having to buy yet another video card.

m
l
February 20, 2010 2:41:59 PM

Duh ?!

ChYhess! Not as painful as it sounds. You don't actually have to mount it (but it should be in full contact with chassis ('course, to be safe, mount it proper).

= Al =
m
l
!