Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2010 1:55:53 PM

We've been having issues with my wife's PC. Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+

Radeon HD4850

320 gig Seagate HDD

2 gigs of OCZ DDR2 800

Gigabyte motherboard

A few weeks ago, when she went to install photoshop, the PC would re-boot. Anytime she would try to use the CDrom drive, it would re-boot. Then it re-booted and we got an error for missing/corrupt DLL, tried to boot into afe mode. At that point we got a missing kernel error. Using the XP CD we were able to get into all the old data.
I then reformatted, assuming t was simply corrupt files. One I did that it seemed normal until I installed the motherboard drivers, at which point it got halfway through install then shut down.

I then tried to intall one at a time. I got the ethernet drivers installed and installed all updates including SP3.

It seemed alright, then I tried to install the drivers for the onboard sound. It shut down. I igured the soundcard was the issue, so I disabled it. I then went to install the video card drivers, and it shut down again.

This led me to believe it must be a PSU issue since the one in it wasnt the best, though it has been running for a year and a half on that supply.

I got a BFG 550 watt psu from BB, installed it, and everything powered up and the computer posted, but I am getting no video output. The video card is getting power, the fan runs and the lights come on. All motherboard fans run, etc.

I dont know what else to check. I am about to order a new motherboard but I am not sure if this is the problem, I am in over my head on this one. I wanted to check here before I spent anymore money.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this one, like I said I am in over my head.

Thanks!

More about : video output psu

February 20, 2010 6:46:05 PM

I would start by testing memory. Go to www.memtest.org, download the prebuilt ISO and burn it to a disc, then reboot the computer, go into BIOS to make sure the Optical drive is set to boot before the local hard drive, and let it run at least 7 passes or so.

If you see any red errors at the bottom of the screen, it's your RAM.
m
l
February 20, 2010 9:14:24 PM

MaizeNBlue2 said:
I would start by testing memory. Go to www.memtest.org, download the prebuilt ISO and burn it to a disc, then reboot the computer, go into BIOS to make sure the Optical drive is set to boot before the local hard drive, and let it run at least 7 passes or so.

If you see any red errors at the bottom of the screen, it's your RAM.

I cant get into the bios, nothing comes up onto the screen at all. It posts, one beep, and will stay running, but no output whatsoever.

I should also mention that I tried a different video card, which I know to work correctly as I just pulled it from my PC the day before, and sill no output.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2010 1:09:33 AM

chihlidog said:
I cant get into the bios, nothing comes up onto the screen at all. It posts, one beep, and will stay running, but no output whatsoever.

I should also mention that I tried a different video card, which I know to work correctly as I just pulled it from my PC the day before, and sill no output.

This might be pretty obvious, but have you tried a different monitor?
m
l
February 21, 2010 5:21:33 AM

The monitor works, when I turn it on I get the monitor's default screen reading "no input". I've checked the cable connections as well, so it isnt that.

Thanks!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2010 5:52:01 AM

And when you use the old PSU? If it comes back, you have a bad PSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2010 6:18:50 AM

Try removing one RAM Dimm at a time and reseat them. Check that the power supply is connected to the Graphics Card though that should come at at bios while its still in VGA mode. Its possible that your bad PSU has done the nasty on your Motherboard. The PSU is the most important but the most over looked and under spent on component.
m
l
February 22, 2010 8:06:15 PM

I havent tried the old PSU because I know it wont work. I can return the existing one I suppose and see if another new one makes a difference.

I know the PSU is wired to the GPU, it's the standard 6 pin connector. HOWEVER, whether plugged in or not, the fan still runs and the system still posts. So that isnt helping me figure out whats going on, there is no onboard video so I would not expect a post with the GPU not plugged in.

Im still scratching my head over this one.
m
l
!