GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0- 12 gb of memory

AlanHoward

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
In another thread:

bilbat wrote :

Pretty much no matter what you put in, to use twelve gig, you will have to 'hand tweak'. Whether you use XMP, or rely on the standard entries in the SPD, they are set up for one DIMM per channel, and will seldom, if ever, work for two...

Fear not - I can walk you through it - it's really not that big of a deal!

Could bilbat or someone expand on this please?

ah

tecmo34

Administrator
bilbat will have to provide greater details but I haven't seen him around lately though. Basicaly, what he is saying is to run with all the DIMM slots full, you will need to tweak each RAM DIMM slot individually. The motherboard doesn't like having all the DIMM slots full running on default or std. specifications. You'll need to adjust above and beyond to make for a stable system.

I don't know about the context where bilbat wrote that, but if you are asking if you can run 12GB on the UD3R, then the answer is yes ( I had a UD3R before getting the P6T Deluxe v2 and I ran 12GB).

I think bilbat was probably referring to the fact that you probably need to manually set RAM speed and timing and voltage when populating all DIMMs (as in a 6*2GB). Usually, when you populate all DIMMs on a board, you need a little bit more voltage for the RAM to get everything stable and may be relax the timing.

suteck

Distinguished
All I can say is that I have the UD3R board in rev 1.0 and I'm running 12 GB . Funny as it sounds I started with 6 GB's when I installed my OS, (win 7 x64). Then when I added the other 6GB's down the road it was recognized but not usable according to windows. Bios, cpuz and even windows properties said 12 but windows prop also said 6 usable. Also, I use the all cpu sidebar meter and it said 6 GB's. Coupla days later I added another HDD to the mix and did a fresh OS install and everything showed all 12 GB usable! Worked for standard settings, then went to XMP (Gigabyte bios calls them Profile 1, 1600 MHz, and Profile 2, 1800 MHz), and it worked in Profile 1 for me. So I wiped my other HDD's that I use for different Versions or tweaked OS like the ROG version and the Alienware version and when I did a fresh install I never had a problem getting all 12 GB's to show and work. I think the main thing is you need to make doubly sure that all your memory sticks are the same make, model, voltages, cas latency timings and part numbers like - OCZ3X1600LV6GK PC3-12800. I bought two kits of this at different times from different people and it worked fine. Check with the motherboard manufacturer's Qualified Vendors List and make sure you check all the boxes all the way across. Some memory only works at 3, 4, or 6 GB's no matter how much you put in it so make sure whatever you purchase is on that list showing it supports 12 GB's. Except for one possible exception, If you prefer Corsair memory they have a memory finder tool that you can use and it will show you what will work at 12 GB's for your board. It says guaranteed to work so you might can work that way. I added the links for the memory list and the configurator, NOW for the disclaimer - There's no guarantee any of this will work for you!! But it is working for me. The OCZ memory numbers I listed above is actually what I'm using. Good luck and let us know what you did and how it worked out for you, or of course, ask any additional questions you might have.

I have the UD3R {bad MOBO for SSD + RAID}, but it will accommodate 12GB, I would do 3X4GB because the Tri Channel is more efficient than Hexa Channel. I know the following WILL WORK!

In addition, where most people make the mistake is not choosing either Certified or Tested DDR3.

Corsair Tested - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1362102

Tested/Guaranteed to work:
$410 CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145271&Tpk=CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

$479 CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145321

Good Luck!

AlanHoward

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
I looked at the Corsair page for this motherboard. There's a long list of memory sets. I noticed that some require 1.5 volts, some 1.6 or 1.65. Is this of any significance for me?

ah

The 6X2GB are Tested by Corsair, and I own the 3X4GB {Jaquith Tested} for whatever that entails. The modules share the same memory chip controllers. I emailed Corsair a few months ago prior to purchase and they gave me the 'Green Light' that they would indeed work - and they did/are working fine.

SAFE -> Please confirm for yourself at Corsair and submit a ticket. Corsair will normaly reply back within 1 day - http://www.corsair.com/helpdesk/default.aspx

I preferred the 3X4GB because as I indicated Tri Channel is the most efficient. Further, you won't find 3X4GB Tested and posted online.

Good Luck!

suteck

Distinguished

The voltages will apply to you. The compatible memory's default is 1.5v. When you use the different preset profiles it will automatically increase the voltages for you, (1333 @ 1.5v, 1600 @ 1.65v or 1.66v. and whatever 1800 is). That's why when you purchase "1600" memory and you first install it leaving the settings in default it shows up as 1333. Technically you are overclocking the memory and that usually requires a voltage increase for most components, again, when you put it in profile 1 or XMP as some boards call it, the voltages are automatically increased. Now it is possible to increase the voltages yourself and change other settings to increase the speed for even faster overclocked memory, but that's for another day :sol: