Major, MAJOR Bug found!

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Don't know if anyone has heard this or not, there has been
a lot of traffic at TTLG, Ion, and Eidos Forums today talking
about a possible game killing bug.

If you set the game to a difficulty setting (i.e. Expert) then save/reload,
the game defaults back to "Normal" in all situations! Everyone has
been playing in "Normal" after a save!

Some initial workarounds are not working, still waiting to hear from
Developers.

No Links, the threads are easy to find, just giving you all a "Heads up".

uh - that's not that big of a bug. It's an annoyance if anything.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:48:21 GMT, "Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Don't know if anyone has heard this or not, there has been
>a lot of traffic at TTLG, Ion, and Eidos Forums today talking
>about a possible game killing bug.
>
>If you set the game to a difficulty setting (i.e. Expert) then save/reload,
>the game defaults back to "Normal" in all situations! Everyone has
>been playing in "Normal" after a save!

You reload?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"the churchwarden" <no@no.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> uh - that's not that big of a bug. It's an annoyance if anything.

I'd consider that a rather big bug, because it basically makes one mode of
play unavailable and gives people the wrong impression of the difficulty and
of the game. Normal and Expert should be very different in terms of how
difficult they are to play and consequentally how the game feels like. I've
been playing the game now for a while, what I thought was on Expert, and
I've been disappointed at how very, very easy the game feels like. No
wonder it feels easy, if in fact I've been playing on Normal all the time!

This kind of a bug can also have an impact on the game reviews, the
longevity of the game etc.

I hope that a fix will become available soon.

- Mika L

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

> You reload?

LOL!! Yeah, someone on one of the forums (I can't remember which)
has already mentioned that as a way around the bug; NEVER reload!
He called it 'Super-Expert mode" or something!

> "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > You reload?
> >

> LOL!! Yeah, someone on one of the forums (I can't remember which)
> has already mentioned that as a way around the bug; NEVER reload!
> He called it 'Super-Expert mode" or something!

I think they used to call that mode of play Ironman. It tried it in Thief 2
once (I only saved in case the game crashed). I got to the fourth mission
before I gave up.

-Scott Roper

"Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't know if anyone has heard this or not, there has been
> a lot of traffic at TTLG, Ion, and Eidos Forums today talking
> about a possible game killing bug.
>
> If you set the game to a difficulty setting (i.e. Expert) then
save/reload,
> the game defaults back to "Normal" in all situations! Everyone has
> been playing in "Normal" after a save!
>
> Some initial workarounds are not working, still waiting to hear from
> Developers.
>
> No Links, the threads are easy to find, just giving you all a "Heads up".

Maybe someone will figure out how to edit the difficulty setting in the
saved game files.

-Scott Roper

loony

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

How is this possible? I save/re-load a lot but I ALWAYS have 3 special loot
items to find in my goals, which is only a goal in Expert mode. Am I right?

Loony

"Loony" <loony@nospam.loony.name> wrote in message
> How is this possible? I save/re-load a lot but I ALWAYS have 3 special loot
> items to find in my goals, which is only a goal in Expert mode. Am I right?

Yessir you are right, all goals stay the same. However, the "astuteness"
of the guards and the damage they will inflict is reset to normal. Many
people have been complaining that TDS was easy, now we know why!

(If you were playing on "easy" and reload it will reset to normal, and the
guards will suddenly become harder!!)

"Scott Roper" <digitalfenceIGNORETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
> Maybe someone will figure out how to edit the difficulty setting in the
> saved game files.

Yeah, like running some "savegamefix" after every time I save
my game? How handy :)

Doesn't matter; apparently the bug uses default AI values and doesn't even refer to the INI file's AI values.

Stupid Ion Storm...

Scott Roper wrote:

> "Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Don't know if anyone has heard this or not, there has been
> > a lot of traffic at TTLG, Ion, and Eidos Forums today talking
> > about a possible game killing bug.
> >
> > If you set the game to a difficulty setting (i.e. Expert) then save/reload,
> > the game defaults back to "Normal" in all situations! Everyone has
> > been playing in "Normal" after a save!
> >
> > Some initial workarounds are not working, still waiting to hear from
> > Developers.
> >
> > No Links, the threads are easy to find, just giving you all a "Heads up".
>
> Maybe someone will figure out how to edit the difficulty setting in the
> saved game files.

"Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't know if anyone has heard this or not, there has been
> a lot of traffic at TTLG, Ion, and Eidos Forums today talking
> about a possible game killing bug.
>
> If you set the game to a difficulty setting (i.e. Expert) then
save/reload,
> the game defaults back to "Normal" in all situations! Everyone has
> been playing in "Normal" after a save!
>
> Some initial workarounds are not working, still waiting to hear from
> Developers.
>
> No Links, the threads are easy to find, just giving you all a "Heads up".

And that is 'game-killing' HOW?

"Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > You reload?
> >

> LOL!! Yeah, someone on one of the forums (I can't remember which)
> has already mentioned that as a way around the bug; NEVER reload!
> He called it 'Super-Expert mode" or something!

Returning to a load-zone is also counted as a "reload" and triggers the bug.

One has to wonder just *when* this bug was introduced. Hopefully it was a
last minute regression in the late work to remove custom difficulties. Worst
case, it's been around forever which means fixing it might actually make
things worse (it means the expert AI was never really exercised or the
levels properly balanced for expert since all the playtesters were
unknowingly playing on normal.)

But of course, that's the worst case scenario :)

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message news:9L-dnTTwPLf_o1vd4p2dnA@comcast.com...

> And that is 'game-killing' HOW?

Well, some people (specifically "hardcore" thief fans) only play on expert,
after their first save (or load-zone) they have been playing with "Normal"
(read "reduced senses") Guards. Many have complained that the AI was
easy, now we know why.

Some have suggested replaying when the game is fixed, however a point
was made that first time through (not knowing the terrain, what's around the
next corner etc.) with the "best" AI is a once and only experience. (Some had
finished the game).

I, (and many others on the forums mentioned) consider that a "possible
game-killing bug" (you omitted the word "Possible" that was in the original
post). Many in Europe (where the game has yet to be released) claim that
they will delay their purchase until this problem is solved.

If you don't then Great! Go play and Have Fun!

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message news:9L-dnTTwPLf_o1vd4p2dnA@comcast.com...

> And that is 'game-killing' HOW?

Sorry, one more thing (I forgot to include) it bears mentioning in response
to your query. Warren Spector, (Ion Storm's studio director) was mentioned
in a prominent pre-release interview as saying "Of course, to get the full
experience of this improved AI you have to play on expert".

His recommendations have proven to be impossible.

> "ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >

> > And that is 'game-killing' HOW?
> >

> Sorry, one more thing (I forgot to include) it bears mentioning in
response
> to your query. Warren Spector, (Ion Storm's studio director) was mentioned
> in a prominent pre-release interview as saying "Of course, to get the full
> experience of this improved AI you have to play on expert".
>
> His recommendations have proven to be impossible.

I don't know, I consider a game-killing bug to be a bug that does not allow
the game to run. I've played (or should I say I have not played) quite a
few games due to game-killing bugs, like GTA:Vice City crashing every time I
get to a certain mission, or Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, which had
some bug on the last level that prevented you from completing the level. I
know what you mean though.