Stock AMD Water Cooler (FX-8150) Fans Not Working

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hello,

I was going to see if anyone had ran into a similar problem. Basically the stock self-contained water cooler fans that comes with the AMD FX-8150 don't work when plugged into the CPU_FAN (4-pin) header on my motherboard (please see specs below). The fans do work when plugged into the PWR_FAN (3-pin) header.

Here is the weird thing:

Both fans for the water cooler are 4-pin and are essentially hooked up to a splitter that combines them into a single 3-pin connection (this is required by the water block). I plugged in the 3-pin connection into the PWR_FAN header and it works just fine. I plugged in a 240mm fan (3-pin) into the CPU_FAN header, it works just fine. So both fans work, but it appears that the CPU_FAN header can't push two 120mm fans, but it can push a single 240mm. Anyone ran into this type of issue? I would prefer to tie the cpu fans into the CPU_FAN header for better monitoring reasons since the BIOS pulls different metrics from this header in comparison to system fan headers. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the dynamic between the 4-pin header and the 3-pin connection of the splitter.

Mind you this a new build with no OS or BIOS updates (will try that later).

AMD FX-8150 Black Edition (3.6 GHZ) Case
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
Antec TPQ 1200 watt PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Case
16GB G. Skill Sniper Series 1866B
256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
its not about the headers, well, actually its got everything to do with the fans and headers.

whats the Voltage on the 240mm fan? and what are the voltages of 2x120 fans...? if you get the math right, you'll notice the mobo can't power both fans at the same time as it wasn't designed that way. Thas hwere high end mobo's come into play.

Kiss yourself on the forehead, you haven't fired the mobo cos of your experiment/games.

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

I don't think you understood my post. The mobo powers all of these fans, but, only in a certain a configuration. The Asetek cooler that is made for the FX-8150 (comes standard and is AMD branded) has two fans with it by design and works on many motherboards, not just high-end ones. The question is, has anyone ran into this problem with the CPU_FAN header not being able to power these fans for this cooler and having to resort to another header - I want to make sure isn't just me. The voltages should be within tolerance.

Um, thank you for your attempt at condescension. Obviously you didn't comprehend my post very well.

Lutfij

Titan
what you're attempting is to power two fans off one header via a splitter, that comes bundles off your cooler. If I didn't comprehend your post I wouldn't have posted either. how much voltage are those 2x120 fans...???

I want to make sure isn't just me.
okay we'll resort to talking like you - use google and you'll see how many cases there are that are similar/identical to yours.

The voltages should be within tolerance.
...in other words you haven't calculated the voltages yourself.

If you know of OCN, overclock.net forums had a person fry his mobo by running more fan wattage off a header than stated. Dumb guy didn't even bother reading the manual.

I suggest running your silly pseudo fans off the same header with a fan splitter that draws power from the psu, not the mobo.
i.e: akasa fan splitter. shouldn't be hard to find