Solved

Motherboard for i7 870

okay ive read around sata 3 and usb 3.0
im getting an i7 870
first thing is first i do not plan to ever crossfire or sli just getting 1 graphics card that can do all, and upgrading if i ever need to.
now i need a good motherboard to can handle light overclock first at 3.6ghz till i get a good hs/fan to go 4ghz.
overclocking the video card as well as the ram.
i really only wanna pay $150ish $200 max is fine.
ive been looking at the
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
and
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

so between those two motherboards. i am getting an ssd sata 3. so if i use the ssd and only one graphics card the pcie will still be at x16? and i wont see any performance drop. what ive read if sata 3 or usb3 is running the pci e x16 will run on pci e x8 or is that only when you crossfire? so if i dont have to crossfire i will have the satisfaction of running 1 x16 pci-e and have sata 3 and usb 3 at full speed?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard
  1. dont matter for me the case i have can fit m-atx and atx.
    OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB 1600mhz 7-9-7-24
    5850 or the new 6870 not sure yet.
    2 dvd drives
    250gb hdd
    1 sata 3 ssd 64gb
    just want something that can use usb3 and sata 3 without taking the bandwidth away from my primary video card. and not to expensive.
  2. thx but davcon which one of those boards wont have the bandwidth problem or are all boards the bandwidth on the graphics card be limited because of sata 3 and usb 3.0?
  3. okay well i looked at hose motherboards. might not get sata 3 and usb 3
    honestly might get 5770 and crossfire it down the road. now im pretty sure i can still use the 600W psu i put up there on those and still oc the cpu to 4ghz?
  4. Espada said:
    thx but davcon which one of those boards wont have the bandwidth problem or are all boards the bandwidth on the graphics card be limited because of sata 3 and usb 3.0?

The only boards known to have the 3/3 limitations when Xfired are the lesser and middle range Gigabyte boards.
    The MSI's and the Asus don't have that issue they are 1156 gen 2 boards.
  5. Yes, if you aren't going to use crossfire you'll have enough bandwidth to run Sata3 and USB 3.0 together.
  6. okay so if using any of the msi and asus and im running sata 3 and usb 3.0 i wont have limitation on just one gpu so i can run the 5850 at x16. but if i crossfire then the sata 3 and usb3 will bottleneck my gpu.
  7. Best answer
    Espada said:
    okay so if using any of the msi and asus and im running sata 3 and usb 3.0 i wont have limitation on just one gpu so i can run the 5850 at x16. but if i crossfire then the sata 3 and usb3 will bottleneck my gpu.

The Asus and MSI boards will not be bottleknecked when two gpus are used they are 2nd gen boards and use a separate chipset for usb 3 and sata 3.
    The Gigabyte is a 1st gen board and the usb3 and sata 3 shared pci-e lanes with the gpus which caused limitations.
  8. Best answer selected by Espada.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SATA Intel i7 Product