Mounting two water coolers in antec 1200 cabinet

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade from the cooler master heat-sink & dual fans air cooler.
To probably the antec 620 or 920 liquid-cooler.

I am also having two Sapphire 6950's not in crossfire, so I would like to either.

Upgrade to two Accelero Xtreme PLUS II 3-fan air coolers for my GPU's

or Upgrade to Accelero Hybrid on the top/first GPU card and Accelero Xtreme PLUS II on the second GPU card.

Now i have the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 motherboard.

My cabinet is the antec 1200 full tower case.

The problems are these.

If i use the antec 620 or 920 for my cpu, which will take up one of the two rear 120mm fans, probably the top one will be removed.

Now will i be able to place the GPU liquid cooler which is the Accelero Hybrid on the second 120MM fan , because the fan is okay, but the design of the radiator may block / prevent me from having two radiators installed.

If that is the case,

Second option is not to use liquid cooler for my first card but use two Accelero Xtreme PLUS II 3 fan coolers,

Now I do not know if after installing those coolers on my GPU, if they may block each other, because currently i have the triple crossfire motherboard that can take 3 GPU's

Currently two slots occupied by the first card and two slots by the second,

So will it fit ?

I use the first 6950 card on a 27 inch monitor for desktop and gaming.
I use the second 6950 card currently with two monitors attached for my trading work, the thing is I may want to upgrade that to handle four monitors for the trading work.

I'd like to invest to cool my CPU, Gaming GPU & Trading GPU.

Please remember that the second GPU that I may have four monitors attached too, wont be used for gaming or videos, so its mostly going to be used for low-profile graphics like trading charts, which may mean I need more idle or low-end load tempratures to be down.

Right now with two monitors and stock sapphire cooler its about 50~60 degrees at idle and low-load, I want to add two monitors and get the temperature down too, with the Accelero Xtreme PLUS II

The first GPU attached to the 27inch will be used to surf, game, watch movies, videos and entertainment and all that stuff.
Currently with Stock Sapphire, I'm seeing terrible temperature's of between 80~105 degrees celcius, which is just too high for me to game comfortably, i feel like i may fry the board or something, SO i need Accelero Xtreme PLUS II on that or Accelero Hybrid liquid cooler.

The problem is either i cant fit two liquid coolers to my two rear 120MM slots due to the radiator may block or I cant use two Accelero Xtreme PLUS II on two cards, because they may take up more than the two slots each.

I have one way is to maybe, use the x8 slot for the third card and move the second card down to the third card slot.

But i do not know if it will work, If it does maybe having liquid cool on CPU and two air-cools on GPUS will work and may make this upgrade significantly cheaper for me.

Please suggest or let me know your views and thanks,

Nick from India.

Links--->
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga.html
http://www.antecindia.co.in/product.php?id=Njkz
http://www.antecindia.co.in/product.php?id=NzA0MzM5
http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3781#sp
13 answers Last reply
More about mounting water coolers antec 1200 cabinet
  1. honestly?

you are getting a downgrade rather than an upgrade. You're best choice is to stay on air for both gpu and cpu.
  2. Lutfij said:
    honestly?

you are getting a downgrade rather than an upgrade. You're best choice is to stay on air for both gpu and cpu.

lol, well at-least the CPU cooler isn't very necessary as it's able to handle the heat decently, Never goes over 80 degrees on load or at-least i haven't seen such numbers on my speedfan app.

But the GPU's they seriously need cooler upgrade, especially my gaming GPU is hitting 90 to a 100 degrees celcius, which makes me worried to be playing my games comfortably, I gotta keep ALT-ESC every time to see if its not getting terribly hot or something.

The trading GPU is already at 50~60 on Idle with two monitors, I'm planning to add two monitors to that card and I think then it may hit 60~80 at idle, so it definetly needs a better cooler.

:)
  3. Maybe I should just upgrade to the water-cooler for the 1st GPU (gaming) which will easy take less than two slots.

& upgrade the air cooler of the 2nd GPU (trading) with the two cooler or 3 cooler models of Artic brand.

It may cost me a little less than $300 here in India to get them shipped from the US.

PS: I don't intend to unlock, overclock, tweak, flash bios or anything. Just want cool operation at stock speeds both on CPU & GBPU's
  4. just noticed your case
    that is the real issue. invest in larger better managed case. In fact since we're on management - how is your cable management in that case?

I pointed out these two points because...well to understand that you'll need to head down to the sticky(in my sig) details on the need for liquid cooling.
  5. Quote:
    I don't intend to unlock, overclock, tweak, flash bios or anything. Just want cool operation at stock speeds both on CPU & GBPU's
    like I said air is your best bet instead of flushing your money down someone else's drain. anyway its your money.

go down to the watercooling sticky, read through it and even check out the CLC section.
  6. Lutfij said:
    just noticed your case
    that is the real issue. invest in larger better managed case. In fact since we're on management - how is your cable management in that case?

I pointed out these two points because...well to understand that you'll need to head down to the sticky(in my sig) details on the need for liquid cooling.

LOL, I'm using one of the largest full-tower case from Antec (model 1200) with 3x120mm fans in front air-intake, top 200mm jumbo fan for exhast & rear 2x 120 mm fans for exhast.

About cable management, yep i have done that, all my cables run through the back of the motherboard and only come out at the spots from where just the plug needs to connect, so there's, you won't probably see any cables other than the cables that need to plug to the side of the GPU's for the extra power.

My problem was with the design of these aftermarket GPU coolers and the Liquid cooler for the CPU & if they will fit all my stuff properly.

But I think I may be able to dump upgrading to the CPU water-cooler and instead go with GPU water cooler and a cheaper version of the two-fan cooler from Artic, Accelero Twin Turbo II

Since the second GPU may only operate at Idle or low-profile, won't really be doing anything more than displaying trading charts on four screens.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/375/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html?c=2182

Anyways, I'm open to all suggestions and will definetly look up the links in your signature & Thanks :)
  7. Lutfij said:
    Quote:
    I don't intend to unlock, overclock, tweak, flash bios or anything. Just want cool operation at stock speeds both on CPU & GBPU's
    like I said air is your best bet instead of flushing your money down someone else's drain. anyway its your money.

go down to the watercooling sticky, read through it and even check out the CLC section.

We need a GPU CLC section! :D

Do this!
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/official-amd-ati-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-red-mod
  8. we need more smart people visiting the forums...its just CLC this and CLC that. In fact all I ever see in threads is how people ask for an answer when really, the OP has figured out the answer. All they really want is someone to tell them what they want to hear...

but yeah I'll do another write up on that CLC section.
  9. Another thing why I'm attracted to liquid cooling is because of the dust level here, I need to vaccum blow all dust out every once in a month, my pc gets dusty very fast, maybe in a week there's a noticeable layer of dust on all my computers internal as well as external components, there's nothing i can do because its really nothing i can do, i've tried everything to avoid dust, but it just freakkin problem here.
  10. watercooling(be it real or fake) needs fans to dissipate the heat(from the radiator)...where there is active cooling, there is fans moving air. Two things come out of this,1| noise and 2| you pass dirt/dust through the parts. If you think watercooling will alleviate you from the dusts of sorrow think again.

have you used magnetic dust filters? In fact just get yourself a blower...

+you're welcome
  11. Lutfij said:
    we need more smart people visiting the forums...its just CLC this and CLC that. In fact all I ever see in threads is how people ask for an answer when really, the OP has figured out the answer. All they really want is someone to tell them what they want to hear...

but yeah I'll do another write up on that CLC section.

I've noticed a lot of the same as well. It's become a legion of closed loop cooler questions (that don't really need answers) and folks just wanting you to tell them exactly what they want to hear. Hasn't been much activity lately from loop questions or those that need to visit the sticky first.
  12. ^ phew and I thought I was heading the battle alone. Welcome back general Rubix! How you been?

More brainstorming to figure out how to stem these silly questions from popping up [:lutfij:5]
  13. rubix_1011 said:
    I've noticed a lot of the same as well. It's become a legion of closed loop cooler questions (that don't really need answers) and folks just wanting you to tell them exactly what they want to hear. Hasn't been much activity lately from loop questions or those that need to visit the sticky first.

Hi,

Okay after a lot of reading and stuff, You're right. The water cooler I was planning to use, is nothing better than what I already got on my system.
    So the CPU cooler upgrade is canceled.

Today I opened up my cabinet to have a closer look at the space between the GPU's

& yes! The first GPU uses two slots and a space of a 3rd slot, then the second GPU.
    So I guess there's enough space for 3 Slots between the first and second cards.

So maybe, I will just go for the 3-fan coolers on both of them, They cost about $100 each for me here in India (cost is about $60 in US) and get my GPU overheating problem solved in $200 bucks. :)

Thanks for reading and Helping! I appreciate it!
    Nick
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling GPUs Cooling Antec Overclocking