Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU cooling as of now for the money

Last response: in Overclocking
December 3, 2012 1:05:48 AM

I am looking for the best solution in your eyes to cool my CPU, be it by water cooling - open or closed, or air. Also keep in mind price, I am a high-schooler. I was thinking like noctura dh-14, or h80i/100i. These are, in my eyes, the best solutions. Thanks for the help and different opinions:) 

More about : cpu cooling money

December 3, 2012 1:21:14 AM

I am a fan of air, water is too much trouble for 1 or 2 C. What are you overclocking? If you can spend more on a better CPU I would do that and get a cheap cooler like a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus for $25. If you already have a fast i7 and are looking to go crazy, yeah a noctura dh-14 is a great choice. Very cool and yet quiet too.
December 3, 2012 1:33:02 AM

Go air, water cooling is noisy. I'm not sure about this but people say they had leaks with water coolers and ruined their components, so I would go with the Noctua DH-14 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2012 2:48:53 AM

There is a significant difference for guys who want to overclock the cpu(extreme oc).

For air cooler the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme is the best air cpu cooler and beat any closed loop watercooling if you don't mind the noise(noise levels superior of the two bellow).

Or : Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E / Noctua NH-D14 (tie)
December 3, 2012 10:58:11 AM

nvalhalla said:
I am a fan of air, water is too much trouble for 1 or 2 C. What are you overclocking? If you can spend more on a better CPU I would do that and get a cheap cooler like a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus for $25. If you already have a fast i7 and are looking to go crazy, yeah a noctura dh-14 is a great choice. Very cool and yet quiet too.

I'm overclocking an i5 2500k
December 3, 2012 11:12:07 AM

Right now i'm understanding:
-no water
-silver arrow = dh-14
-212 EVO (same price as + on newegg) is also good

Now i'm wondering, how do the dh-14/silver arrow match up against the 212 EVO?
December 3, 2012 11:14:52 AM

And i'm planning to OC hard.
December 3, 2012 11:14:22 PM

ryanlaxman said:
And i'm planning to OC hard.

I read that some people get better temps with the DH-14 then with basic water cooled systems which are easily £120+ as they are still restricted by ambient temperatures and unless you dish out for top notch high FPI radiators etc, water cooling isn't worth it.
Go for either the DH-14 or Silver Arrow IMO as with the right set up you can overclock hard with those beastly coolers although make sure they won't hit any ram heatsinks you may have.
December 7, 2012 1:38:28 AM

The 212 Evo is a cheap, entry level cooler, you will see better cooling with the DH-14. Now, does that mean a better overclock? Maybe, maybe not. You may find the CPU is only stable up to a point regardless of how cool it runs. More voltage will help, but then you are risking quick wear and serious damage the higher you go. I prefer to get a cheap cooler like the Evo, save the $50. Will it be the difference between 4.2 GHz and maybe 4.4 with the DH-14? Maybe. Will you tell the difference? Not at all.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2012 2:07:10 AM

The stock hyper 212 is pretty darned good. Match it with a pair of great fans, it's dang good, especially for the price. Water cooling kits outside of custom loops or entry level kits from XPSC; a joke. A dual fan Hyper 212 can be just as effective if not better than the H100 with less noise if done correctly.

However, just to give you a quick read on some heat sinks and to give you an idea of differences; check these out. Now mind you, I still haven't seen many results featuring the 212 much less a dual fan version.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/08/thermalright_...
!