Sign in with
Your question

Asus p7p55-m powersupply problem. is OCZ 600w powersupply enough?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
February 20, 2010 8:18:47 PM

Hiya, I've just bought a new pc but somehow it just turns it self off after 10-15seconds after reboot and I'm wondering if the powersupply might be not correctly calibrated or something

the Hardware is:
-Intel CPU Intel Quad Core i5 750
-P7p55-m ASUS Mainboard S-1156 P55 mATX PCI-E (default bios (I think))
4x - Apacer 2GB DDR3-1066 RAM
- GIGABYTE 1Gb GDDR5 HD 5870 grafic card.
- OCZ 600w Mod X stream-pro Power supply 140mm fan Moduear cables (this powersupply is brand new just like the rest of the pc

So what can be the problem is the powersupply big enough or is it perhaps not correctly calibrated?
I'm really stuck at what can be the problem sicne it seems the pc is prone to shutting down faster when I have the dvdplayer attached but it still shuts down after 15 sec when I have disattached the dvdplayer. j
and the pc allso managed to shut down inside the bios so I presume it has to do something with the powersupply

can someone help me before I go crazy?
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 20, 2010 9:18:43 PM

OCZ doesn't instill confidence in me as a PSU Manufacturer...even tho they did buy PCP&C. Neither does Apacer.

Boot machine to BIOS....sit and watch temps and see what they do....if they break 30, that's weird....if they break 50 something's wrong. Expect NB / SB temps to be in 40s tho.

1. To check whether it's big enough, have this "do the math" for you.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

2. Jump into BIOS, set all values to default and then set CPU multiplier to minimum (12 ?). Save and exit.

3. Having previously gone to memtest.org and downloaded memtest+, and put in on a CD ..... boot to it.

4. Run memtest overnight (12-18 hours) ...if it passes, memory is cool and you can return CPU multiplier to auto.

BTW, 1066 RAM ? No interest in overclocking ?

5. If tests fail....out in 1 stick at a time and retest.

6. If test pass alone try 2 sticks at a time.

Anonymous
February 20, 2010 9:21:47 PM

ah thanks mate, I'll give that a try right away =)
February 20, 2010 9:31:53 PM

I think of OCZ as a premium brand (they probably farm that spec out to a sub) and, if you only have one grphx card then, the (full) 600w should be plenty/

PSU "shootouts" have revealed thar PSUs often do not put out the full/rated power.

Still, I would not rush to blame the PSU ... especially if I had clues that other junk might be involved but, I don't see those clues, very clearly, at this point, so, I would suggest getting a hold of a good 750W silver or gold rated PSU and give it a try.

Don't get mad, tho, if it turns out to be something else, dragging you down.

With pwr issues, I always like to strip the system down to just the mommy board and 1 stick of mem and the gpu ...

... I also like to reseat and swap components (including drive pwr connctrs and ram modules.

Lots of folks never figger out the prob 'cause they are to lazy or hasty to really strip it down, and build it back up, making sure to test each time a new component is added *and properly re-seated).

But what do I know?

= Al =
Anonymous
February 20, 2010 9:36:12 PM

Hmm I just let the pc stay on in Bios watching the temprature and after around 1-2minute the pc suddenly turned it self off, at that time the MB tempratur was around 22C and CPU was 70C..
damn why is the CPU is blasted high? it shall not be this high? I bought a brand new cooler with the pc..
February 20, 2010 9:42:38 PM

Quote:
Hmm I just let the pc stay on in Bios watching the temprature and after around 1-2minute the pc suddenly turned it self off, at that time the MB tempratur was around 22C and CPU was 70C..
damn why is the CPU is blasted high? it shall not be this high? I bought a brand new cooler with the pc..

Then it sounds like you didnt seat it right. Did you take the plastic thingy OFF the CPU when you installed the HSF? Did you apply new thermal paste to the HSF or did you use the stuff on the stock HSF?
February 20, 2010 9:49:14 PM

THERMAL PASTE ... there are articles on how to do this correctly ...

ALSO ... many coolers come with a thermal coating which must be scraped off with a razor, if paste is to be applied.

You want paste OR the coating, but not both and not neither.

Sounds (I agree) like the cooler is not performing as designed (for whatever reason).

Heat WILL make it shut down (safety interlock) ....

It IS also possible you just got a faulty or hot-running chip, too. BTW

= Al =
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 20, 2010 10:15:37 PM

seat your hsf correctly - follow the instructions and make sure its seated correctly and doesnt just pull off when you pull at it
Anonymous
February 20, 2010 10:25:13 PM

ah thanks people for the help I rechecked the CPU cooler and found it not correctly covering the CPU thus making it overheat. now the temprature is on a steady 37-40C degrees =)
February 20, 2010 10:28:15 PM

that is actually still a bit high, but you did mess up the paste so that is probably why. But i doubt you know how to do thermal paste yourself do you?
February 20, 2010 10:59:32 PM

yup ... the chip will run slower if it gets warm and taxing tasks (like transcoding mp3s and gaming) will heat it up fast.

I am blatantly recommending that you read a FEW articles on thermal compound (lots of little pitfalls that can kill ya) ...

If you are going with the stock thermal "pad" (or factory coating), that is the least desirable route.

Paste needs to be very clean (no finger oils or dust at all) and must cover just the right places and must not be "too much" so ... do take heed. learn all you can.

= Al =
Anonymous
February 21, 2010 8:44:37 AM

hmm I see.. well I'll get to reading about themal pasta and how to reapply the pasted. allthough I was VEry careful not to smudge the paste so the fan might still not be applyed correctly, it's one of those new Intell fans where you have to pretty four points to pin it down..
!