Sign in with
Your question

Computer truble

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2010 9:47:05 PM

Ok yesterday I installed 2 new video cards (see below) into my system. Everything seemed to be fine but I found that when I used windows performance tests that after a min or so it would restart (during the test). I found that it did this each time (tried many). I also tried to run 3D Mark Vantage, with the same problem. I think it has to do with not enough power, that when the system is put under a little strain it shutdown. My dad told me I should try here and ask everyone's advice about what the problem might be. Please help. Thank you.

BJ Gifford
Current system:
• System is completely water cooled.
• ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard.
• Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor.
• CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600.
• OCZ GameXStream OCZ1010GXSSLI 1010W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply.
• 2 x POWERCOLOR LCS AX5970 2GBD5-WMD Radeon HD 5970 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP CrossFired

More about : computer truble

a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2010 10:19:16 PM

The GameXtream is likely your problem.

I wouldn't run twin GFX cards and overclock in any box without a 10.0 performance rating here...the GameXtream gets a low score of 7.5.:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 System Requirements

* 650 Watt or greater power supply one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (850 Watt with two 75W 6-pin and two 150W 8-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

Don't know what case you have but these would be my 850 watt recommendations in order of preference

Antec CP-850 (requires Antec 1200, P183, P193 case)
Antec SG-850
Seasonic M12D 850W
Corsair HX850

Check your size here:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

With the water pump and all, the 850 might not cut it.

The SG-1200 is due out any day now and will be Gold Certified, the only PSU above 1000 watts to gain that standard.
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_reports/ANTEC_SG-120...

Corsair's new version of the HX850 will be also be Gold Certified (current version is silver)

As to the problem.....download and run OCCT's torture tests for Memory, CPU and PSU. Look at the temps and voltage graphs when down and look for any anomalies.

BTW, what is your CPU speed ?

How are GFX cards cooled ?

Have you maxed out GFC card fans ?

What is case air flow ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2010 12:08:57 AM

I'm with Jack. Sounds like when it starts stressing the hell out of your GPU's, the PSU can't hold up. Have you noticed what part of the test makes your PC crash?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 21, 2010 3:27:28 AM

yea i found that it was the power supply i had 2 75w to the video cards instead of 1 75w, and 1 150w so i order a 1200w pwr supply it will be here on tuesday. check out newegg.com they have quite a few power supplies with that cerifacatin. thank you for the help and verifying my thought.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2010 4:06:40 AM

1200W could run two of your systems.
m
l
February 21, 2010 5:19:53 PM

In an answer to all your questions.....

My case is a DangerDen "Black-Series Tower 21"

BTW, what is your CPU speed ? My Cpu is running 24/7 stable at 4.2ghz

How are GFX cards cooled ? As i said above my entire system is Watercooled including my graphics cards.

Have you maxed out GFC card fans ? Watercooled

What is case air flow ? case air flow is fine i have a total of 5 high rpm fans running (it's quite a blower)

My hole sysem is water cooled as i said above. so there is no fans except the ones cooling the radeators which run at 6000+ rpm on full load, and around 3-4000 rpm normally (much quiter)

As for over powering my computer with my power supply i would rather have more power then i need then not enough. but when you add in the water pump, 5 high rpm fans, coloring lights i sure it's not to much power. ;) 

Again thank you for all the help and responding.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2010 5:55:36 PM

So I take it those 6000rpm led casefans we're sapping all your juice? Working good now?

A typical 120mm fan uses peak 10watts.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2010 8:47:02 PM

It wasn't clear in your original post as you said you added two new video cards to an existing water cooled system, so now that's outta the way. But as I don't know whether your radiator is internal or external, I still don't know how many cfm enters your case and is available to cool the NB, SB, memory etc. or supply fresh cool air to your PSU....have you measured the air temps entering the PSU ?

Quote:
i have a total of 5 high rpm fans running (it's quite a blower)

My hole sysem is water cooled as i said above. so there is no fans except the ones cooling the radeators which run at 6000+ rpm on full load, and around 3-4000 rpm normally (much quiter)

Here's where I am having trouble .... 5 high rpm fans ......then no fans.

I don't think it's the size of the PSU, it's rather the quality of the PSU.

Have you plugged your system components into the PSU calculator here ?

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

The TPQ1200-OC looks like it's right up your alley

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/ces-2010-antec/2/
m
l
!