Dying 7950 gx2, what to replace with?

After a little more than 3 years, my 7950 gx2 is starting to fail rather frequently, so I'm looking for an affordable replacement.

First of all, despite its overwhelming potential, I never really found the actual performances to be what I expected, and newer features aren't supported by it, or not very well (e.g. good shadows in World of Warcraft.) I'm guessing this is partly due to a dual-gpu architecture that doesn't exactly gives twice the yield of a single gpu.

So this is what I'm looking for:
- Actual performances close to that of the 7950 gx2.
- Affordable ($150 is my upper bracket)
- At least a generation higher than the 7xxx
- Low noise is a good plus, I'd like something that's not as loud as the 7950gx2

I'm not looking for the latest generation, even a two years old card would do, provided it fulfills the above requirements. I'd prefer a high-range card to a more recent mid-range card if the former sports better performances, unless your suggestion can firmly convince me a newer mid range would be better.

My CPU is a Core 2 duo 6700.

Lastly, SLI is an option, although I really doubt two cheap boards could outperform a single board for the same price.
10 answers Last reply
More about dying 7950 replace with
  1. The 7950x2 was a great card in it's day, however it is pretty much obsolete now, so it may be a good thing that it finally bit the dust.

Your price range is 150$, but you can most certainly get the same performance as a 7950x2 for about 50 - 70$, maybe even less.

I suggest either an ATI 5750, or 4770.

And from the Nvidia side a GTS 250 would be a great upgrade, i cannot see any other nvidia card being an option, maybe a 96sp 9600gt if you can find one.

If you want low noise, there are numerous aftermarket coolers for the cards that I mentioned, that would only cost you maybe 5-10 dollars more than a stock variation of the card.

Good luck.
  2. Annisman said:
    The 7950x2 was a great card in it's day, however it is pretty much obsolete now, so it may be a good thing that it finally bit the dust.

Your price range is 150$, but you can most certainly get the same performance as a 7950x2 for about 50 - 70$, maybe even less.

I suggest either an ATI 5750, or 4770.

And from the Nvidia side a GTS 250 would be a great upgrade, i cannot see any other nvidia card being an option, maybe a 96sp 9600gt if you can find one.

If you want low noise, there are numerous aftermarket coolers for the cards that I mentioned, that would only cost you maybe 5-10 dollars more than a stock variation of the card.

Good luck.

You got the 9600gt wrong it is a G94 with 64 shaders not 96 that is the 9600gso which is basically a even more cut down G92. The GTS250 is a good option especially the 1GB edition or a 5750 would last you a few years if you get a good sample.
  3. nforce4max said:
    You got the 9600gt wrong it is a G94 with 64 shaders not 96 that is the 9600gso which is basically a even more cut down G92. The GTS250 is a good option especially the 1GB edition or a 5750 would last you a few years if you get a good sample.

yea you're right I was thinking of the GSO, darn Nvidia and their naming schemes...

Anyways, I had a GSO and it was quite the good card, it would certainly suffice for the op, cheap too.
  4. Be sure to get the Gddr3 version of the 9600gso if you can and if a 768mb version comes around snatch it up especially its the Gddr3 version instead of the Gddr2. The difference is Vram performance. The 9800gt (avoid the EE or green editions) is a very good card for the price and are wonderful in sli. 32XQ sli aa in Fallout3 is amazing. :O
  5. Here is one of my cam vids about a older version of your current card and it is a Giant.
    Fun fact the forceware mistakes this card for the 7950Gx2 due to the pci-e switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaAxqQQuKbA
  6. I'm making a similar jump - starting with a pair of 512MB 7900 GTX in SLI and looking to upgrade.
    I'd like to make the jump to the 260-216, but hard to justify $225, when I can get the 250 for just over $100. What do you guys think...given that I'm starting with the 7900GTX, am i going to see *that* much more improvement from the 260 over the 250...is it $125 worth?
  7. actually - I could even do a pair of the 1GB 250s in SLI for less than the 260... what about that option?
  8. Yea, go that route.

Two GTS 250's are going to perform better than a 9800GX2, which is about equal to a GTX 280.
  9. A single GTS250 1GB is a major upgrade over a two 7900gtx in sli. So two will be worth while and can use higher aa filtering than a single card up to 32XQ as well physx.
  10. I have an E6600, and started out with a 7950GX2 also. I replaced it a while back with a 9800GTX+ @ 512.

My 3Dmark06 score went from 8K to 11K, which I thought was pretty good.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia World Of Warcraft Graphics