Overclocking E6300 Problem

AgentPooky

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Good day,.

I am trying to overclock my Core2Duo E6300 Conroe.
I have read that this should be fairly easy to overclock but I am having a problem, everytime I make ANY changes in the BIOS to the FSB, the PC won't boot, it gets to where it checks the RAM and then shuts down and starts up with default settings.

I am using a Gigabyte 965-S3 motherboard, with 4GB of Transcend DDR2

Thanks for any assistance.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Sounds like somethings not stable. Are you pushing too far?

Overclocking with a FSB is not only hard on the cpu itself, it also stresses the ram, PCI bus, and many other parts of the system. So say your FSB is 100Mhz. While your motherboard may be able to handle 101Mhz, it's possible the ram itself won't.

So if you're not sure about what you're doing I suggest reading up completely on overclocking and your type of CPU. Locked multipliers make for a pain when it comes to overclocking.

However, the way I'd start is how I overclocked my E8400 when I had it. I had 4GB of 1066Mhz DDR2 which I reduced the timings and speed to 800Mhz and started from there. Almost any pushing on my ram at it's stock settings would cause it to become incredibly unstable. At the 800Mhz setting; it was pretty good!

AgentPooky

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Thanks for the reply. The normal FSB is 266 with a multiplyer of 7x (I can change this to 6)

If I do anything to the FSB even change it by 1, the PC won't boot.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Sounds like something isn't liking the faster FSB. That small increment could be the difference in booting or not booting.

Now remember, the processor runs like this.

FSB x CPU Multiplier = Final Frequency

So in your case...

266 x 7 = 1862 or the stock 1.86Ghz

When you increase the FSB, it will increment the processors speed.

267 x 7 = 1869 Now, that's such a small increase that even a benchmark probably won't notice the difference and the processor itself probably wouldn't even care even if it was close to an instability.

However, that jump can be quite large on the PCI-Express bus which could be the source of your problem. Also, like I said before, it may be causing an issue with your ram running on a higher frequency. There's so many issues that could be causing the problem. The booting problem is obviously an instability somewhere and there may be a way around it. But for the most part; this is why I didn't do much overclocking after the switch to the Core series of Intel processors. As technology was getting better and faster, the tolerances tightened and actually made overclocking a bit harder to accomplish.

I hope this helps. Other than that; I'd suggest doing some reading about overclocking on the E6300 and similar processors. The information you find will be priceless!

AgentPooky

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Ah such a pity. I have read a bit about the e6300 and all over people say that it's super easy to overclock and you can run it stable at way more than it's stock at least.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Locked multipliers = evil!

If you're able to downclock the PCI frequencies, and downclock the ram in the same fashion and work around with FSB to bring the processor up; it's quite the performer of a chip as all C2D's were. But the motherboard makes a BIG difference here. If it wasn't for the motherboard my E8400 was in a few years back; I wouldn't have been able to go farther than the stock 3ghz on it. However with slower ram clocks and the PCI frequencies reduced I actually got some amazing clock speeds on it. That's why I suggest reading about your motherboard and overclocking C2D's with it. Some motherboards really helped with overclocking chips like that.

AgentPooky

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

I have done some reading and it seems other people have been able to overclock this combination fairly easily. Even running my RAM at a much lower frequencey doessn't work.

I can change all the settings but the moment I change the FSB, (even underclocking it), the PC just reboots as soon as it gets to the memory testing. I also tried removing two of the 1gig sticks but to no avail.

TRENDING THREADS