Computer Shuts Down while attempting to install Windows 7

kkumpula

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hello,

I'm trying to use some of my (somewhat) older hardware to build a computer for someone else. Initially the problem was memory related, because I was getting beeped at by the motherboard... I got it to start up, and it was giving me the following error message:
"Warning! Now system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU or Memory frequency in the CMOS setup."

I reset the jumper for this, and restored default settings in the BIOS... and this still didn't fix it... So I replaced the battery. That fixed that issue, but..

Now the computer just turns off after Windows loads files for installation... (same spot everytime). I'm guessing this has something to do with the Motherboard or Memory... I don't have any other memory or a motherboard to test that theory though.

---Here are the system specs---
Motherboard: ASUS P5ND2 SLI
Processor: Intel Pentium D 840 3.2gGHz
Memory: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 675 (1 GB 2x512)
Video Card: GeForce 7600 GT
Sound Card: Soundblaster Audigy SE
Hard Drives: WD SATA 500 & WD SATA 160 (want the OS on this one), but both are brand new.
Power Supply: CoolMax 500W
----------------------------

Side note: on MY system I had issues installing Windows 7 because of my CD drive, so I bought a new one and that worked... Might be an issue here.. but the only other CD drive I have to test that, is the one that wasn't working for mine... SO... that doesn't help.

I've pretty much hit a wall... and my frustration just tells me to buy a brand new mobo, processor and memory to fix it... LOL. Any Help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

-Robert K.

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I would personally try installing each time after doing this:

- Unplug everything you don't need for computer to run (Soundblaster, extra HDD etc)
- Update BIOS to latest rev and load setup defaults after that
- Adjust the speeds down on memory and CPU
- Remove one memory stick at a time before attempting to install OS
- Install OS from another Windows 7 DVD
- Install XP or Vista just to see if that works
- If possible, see if another power supply would make a difference

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

As you say yourself, it may well be due to unstable/faulty memory, so, first thing I would do is run Memtest86+ to make sure they are fully operational.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Download Memtest86+ and burn it to a cd.

Reboot with the cd and run the test to check memory stability.

kkumpula

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Can't run the utility all the way... computer shuts down in the middle.

I ordered some more Thermal Compound for the processor, because it hasn't been used for a while (maybe it's overheating...)

I don't know what else to do besides that.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

If you suspect overheating, enter BIOS and check what temps are being reported.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

That is clearly way too hot, and is probably attributed to a faulty mount of the heatsink.

Dismount the heatsink, remove the old thermal paste from the HSF and CPU, reapply new thermal paste, and remount the HSF.

TRENDING THREADS