ATI 5770 or Geforce 275

Im going to be building a new Intel I7 system. I havent built a new computer in about 5 years, so Im out of the loop when it comes to whats out there.

For the long term, which card is more beneficial? The ATI 5770 or the GF GTX 275? The 275 appears to perform better on the Tomshardware benchmarks.

Thanks for your input.
36 answers Last reply
More about 5770 geforce
  1. based on pure performance GTX275 is better but it does not have DX11 like 5770. 5770 is more like GTX260/HD4870 in performance but in most DX9/DX10 benchmark 5770 performs a bit below GTX260/HD4870. why not looking something better like HD5850? but if those HD5770 and GTX275 have the same price i'd pick GTX275 for it's performance :D
  2. Im not looking at the 5850 due to costs. My budget for the vid card is $250 or less. The GTX 275 is about $60 more in price than the 5770's available now.
  3. You would have to be completely, batsh*t insane to spend that much money on a DX10 card for a brand-new system. Yes, a GTX 275 will outperform a single 5770, but it's last-gen technology, I'm afraid.

    Either a) expand your budget to get a 5850, b) get a 5770 and maybe crossfire it later, or c) if you're getting a dx10 card, get a cheaper one and look at it as a temporary thing.

    Although if you're building a new i7 system, I don't see how spending an extra $50-$75 on the video card really affects your overall budget too much. A drop in the bucket, more likely. Well worth it to avoid making a bad mistake and probably spending even more down the road.
  4. maybe u want to wait for a while until the new card release... :)

    Don't look back on the old tech.
  5. New cards come out in March, right? I can wait that long, and Taco, you are right, about $50 could be justifiable......Im trying to get the best bang for the buck, ya know?
  6. Taco is right, do what he said.
  7. JohnieReb said:
    New cards come out in March, right? I can wait that long, and Taco, you are right, about $50 could be justifiable......Im trying to get the best bang for the buck, ya know?


    Right, totally understand ... and for a high-end CPU like that, 58xx probably is the best bang for the buck.

    I don't think nvidia's new DX11 cards will be competitively priced at first, so it'll take longer than March for them to bring down the prices of the 58xx ... unless the 58xx is going to drop in price on its own (which is also pretty likely).

    But anyway .. generally, if you're building a high-end system, you'll usually find with CPUs and GPUs that you'll be glad 3 years from now if you spend the extra $50-$75 now. Although getting the super-super newest just-released technology for twice the price of the couple-months-old tech (in this case, 5870/5970 or the Fermi instead of a 5850) is rarely worth it.
  8. Ive been looking at price per performance and in that category, the GTX 275 wins. Im trying to justify an extra $70 for about 10-20 frames of performance. I like that the 5000 series cards are the latest technology, but they dont seem to deliver. At least the 5770 is pretty far behind the 275 IMO.
  9. That's because the 5770 is more a budget card, for people that are looking for a 4870, but with newer tech. If I HAD to buy a videocard RIGHT NOW - it would be either the HD5850 or HD5770. With that said, I am happy with my HD4870 - awesome card since I only paid $150 for it.
  10. JohnieReb said:
    Ive been looking at price per performance and in that category, the GTX 275 wins. Im trying to justify an extra $70 for about 10-20 frames of performance. I like that the 5000 series cards are the latest technology, but they dont seem to deliver. At least the 5770 is pretty far behind the 275 IMO.


    so you really do care about performance. i think you should wait for a bit for the new card (like 5830 and nvidia Fermi) and get something cheap as a place holder in your rig. when these cards out you can get better option rather than regretting it later
  11. If you are going to get a last gen card the HD4890 is on par with the GTX 275 but a good amount cheaper. If you really can't afford an HD5850 just wait a bit for the HD5830 which should be in your budget.
  12. Im now leaning towards the 5850. I would rather get the latest tech instead of having to replace something in a year or two.
  13. The HD5830 is based on the same processor. If it OCs like an HD5850/70 then it should be quite a good card for the money. If you aren't in a rush I'd wait a bit and see how it plays out.
  14. Wait a bit, Johnie; ATI 5830 will b out soon (WHEN, BLOODY ATI???!!!!! :@ ) and NVIDIA Fermi comes out in a couple weeks.

    Just like Tobi said - If NVIDIA dont provide anything better at the 5830/5850 price point, u know what to get.
    If they do, go Fermi.

    But if u really need something NOW, 4890 offers significantly better performance at a significantly cheaper price.

    But WAIT, if u can. and IMO, with Core i7, u must get 5850 to be happy, cause if u get something weaker, 1 - 2 years from now ull be looking to change ure graphics setup.

    peace.
  15. I have a month or two to wait. Thanks for the info. I was thinking last night, how would a 5770 X 2 in CF do?
  16. 5770's in Crossfire beat a 5850. I see everyone advising to wait for the 5830, but are there any concret benchmarks on its' performance? I wouldn't want to wait for something not knowing what it is. Either way, it will be worse than the 5850 and the 5850 is not that expensive if you find the right sale.
  17. So metal, what are you thinking? Go with the duel 5770's (they would only be $20 more than the 5850) or go with a single 5850?
  18. I would go for a 5850, with a bit of hunting you can probably find one for $260.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131184&cm_re=5850-_-14-131-184-_-Product
    On Newegg there were $290 ones, this is the cheapest at $299.

    If you want pure performance on Newegg the cheapest & only GTX 275 available is the EVGA CO-OP with a GTX 250 on board ($379.99) it won't SLI.

    Here's a 4890 (same performance as GTX 275) for $199.99.
    And woah, this noon there were 2 models left, out of stock now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129130&cm_re=4890-_-14-129-130-_-Product
  19. sabot00 said:
    I would go for a 5850, with a bit of hunting you can probably find one for $260.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131184&cm_re=5850-_-14-131-184-_-Product
    On Newegg there were $290 ones, this is the cheapest at $299.

    If you want pure performance on Newegg the cheapest & only GTX 275 available is the EVGA CO-OP with a GTX 250 on board ($379.99) it won't SLI.

    Here's a 4890 (same performance as GTX 275) for $199.99.
    And woah, this noon there were 2 models left, out of stock now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129130&cm_re=4890-_-14-129-130-_-Product



    Why not go with the 2 5770's Crossfired? They beat the 5850 by a pretty good margin in that configuration.
  20. That brings up mobo compatibility, CF scaling, PSU requirements, overall all tech review sites agree that for now CF/SLI do not match up to a single GPU.
  21. Ive been looking at this review. Please check it.

    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/1

    Also, this is the MB Im looking to get. Its made for SLI/Xfire.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163

    Like I said, Ive been out of the loop for a while, so I really appreciate your input.
  22. sabot00 said:
    That brings up mobo compatibility, CF scaling, PSU requirements, overall all tech review sites agree that for now CF/SLI do not match up to a single GPU.



    Ive been looking at this review. Please check it.

    http://www.guru3d.com/article/rade [...] iew-test/1

    Also, this is the MB Im looking to get. Its made for SLI/Xfire.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157163

    Like I said, Ive been out of the loop for a while, so I really appreciate your input.
  23. sabot00 said:
    That brings up mobo compatibility, CF scaling, PSU requirements, overall all tech review sites agree that for now CF/SLI do not match up to a single GPU.


    Depends, CF usually gives more bang-per-buck.

    Two 5770s perform equal to a $400 5870, but only cost as much as a $300 5850.
  24. I also want to tell ya, I have a CRT monitor that I think maxes out at 1700 X ??

    Will that effect the choice of a card? I cant justify replacing a good working monitor.
  25. It has a max resolution of 1,792 x 1,344.
  26. A 5770 should be enough for that resolution.
    I'm not sure as I haven't played as much on CRT's but don't CRT's want more FPS?
  27. One or two 5770's?
  28. Ya, get the 5770 1GB. It'll handle higher res better than the 5750.
  29. What do you want to use your rig for?
    Gaming?
    Video editing?
    Watching HD videos?
    ???
    If youre looking to improve several frames on games, Id rather cut down on the CPU and spend the few bucks on better graphics cards.

    I've never seen a CRT monitor that has a resolution of 1792, 1344. Is this a TV? If it's a TV, does it have a VGA connector? Single 5770 is more than good enough for screen sizes upto 17 inch. If larger, then go for 5850. If much larger, then go for 5770 CFX. You really don't need an i7, i5 750 is more than good enough, with the difference between i7 860 being around 5-10 frames. 5770 to 5850 is a HUGE jump.
  30. may1 said:
    What do you want to use your rig for?
    Gaming?
    Video editing?
    Watching HD videos?
    ???
    If youre looking to improve several frames on games, Id rather cut down on the CPU and spend the few bucks on better graphics cards.

    I've never seen a CRT monitor that has a resolution of 1792, 1344. Is this a TV? If it's a TV, does it have a VGA connector? Single 5770 is more than good enough for screen sizes upto 17 inch. If larger, then go for 5850. If much larger, then go for 5770 CFX. You really don't need an i7, i5 750 is more than good enough, with the difference between i7 860 being around 5-10 frames. 5770 to 5850 is a HUGE jump.



    Im building it for gaming and some video editing. The monitor is this one: http://www.viewsonic.com.pe/support/crtmonitors/a91fplus/

    Im also building the system to last. I prefer to build a system that I dont have to upgrade every year. Its been 3 years since my last upgrade and Ive had that computer for abotu 5 years now.
  31. It does have a VGA connector
  32. What Im thinking about with the 5850 is this.....for $20 more, I can Xfire the 5770's, so why not?
  33. The 5850 will be wasted below 1920x1200.
    CF 5770's & a 5850 is probably overkill for that resolution
  34. Why would it be wasted? And if so, what do you recommend? Like I said, I want to build a system to last at least 3 years. Within 3 years, I may have a new monitor.
  35. The main problem with crossfired HD5770 is the memory bandwidth. The memory subsystems in crossfire are not doubled but rather redundant. On average the 2 HD5770s will give you performance similar to an HD5870. Unfortunately the minimum frame rates will suffer comparatively as a result of the 128 bit bus bottlenecking the dual GPUs when they need more information to operate at full speed than can be provided. You can read more about it here;
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750-crossfirex.html
    Both are good options but I would recommend the single HD5850 instead. The card is a very good overclocker and OCs up to around the performance of the HD5870 at stock voltage and if you bump it up a bit it can go even higher(1ghz+) Starting off with a crossfire setup purposely leaves you with no upgrade path other than ditching what you have entirely and starts you off with issues like crossfire scaling/compatibility and sometimes also heat/airflow which can be a real headache.
    In general it's best to just buy the most powerful single card you can afford and leave crossfire/sli until when you want an upgrade.
  36. jyjjy said:
    The main problem with crossfired HD5770 is the memory bandwidth. The memory subsystems in crossfire are not doubled but rather redundant. On average the 2 HD5770s will give you performance similar to an HD5870. Unfortunately the minimum frame rates will suffer comparatively as a result of the 128 bit bus bottlenecking the dual GPUs when they need more information to operate at full speed than can be provided. You can read more about it here;
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750-crossfirex.html
    Both are good options but I would recommend the single HD5850 instead. The card is a very good overclocker and OCs up to around the performance of the HD5870 at stock voltage and if you bump it up a bit it can go even higher(1ghz+) Starting off with a crossfire setup purposely leaves you with no upgrade path other than ditching what you have entirely and starts you off with issues like crossfire scaling/compatibility and sometimes also heat/airflow which can be a real headache.
    In general it's best to just buy the most powerful single card you can afford and leave crossfire/sli until when you want an upgrade.



    GREAT POST! Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. I really appreciate you taking the time!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce ATI Graphics Product