Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS Rampage III Extreme or EVGA Classified 3?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2010 6:34:23 PM

I'm looking for a new motherboard. I like EVGA and I currently have the old Classified (760). I've never bought ASUS, but after noticing that the Rampage III is used for a lot of reviews, it must be a good board.

I'm looking for an upgrade, because I want to upgrade to a SATA 6Gb/s HDD, and USB 3.0 support would be a nice plus.

I don't keep up with all the brands and their motherboards, so I'm asking here to help me choose a motherboard with the features I want.

I can wait if there is going to be a new motherboard released that will dominate.

Please explain your reasoning if you post, no "x is better".

On a side note, the EVGA Classified 3 is the new motherboard by EVGA.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Edit: I need a motherboard that uses the X58 chipset. I currently have a i7-920, but plan on upgrading soon. Motherboard form factor isn't a problem, I have a large case. I don't plan to ever have more than two GPUs, so I only need a 16x/16x configuration and would rather have a board with some more options than just PCI Express 2.0 slots. (Like the EVGA 4-way SLI board)

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 9:39:51 PM

All right i can't give much info on these boards (i don't know there overclocking pontial difference) but i'm an Asus fan (and also an EVGA fan) but the evga board doesn't appeal too much for me. that's just my opinion tho.

from the skim looks of it, the evga has a bit more features i would go for. like the USB headers. I NEED more than one header. The Asus only has 2. That's just sad. My old Quad core has 2 headers. Like where's the upgrade? lol. The EVGA has 4. Now that's more like it.

Now warranties - Asus i believe has 3 year limited warranty vx EVGA's limited lifetime warranty. A better investment don't you think?

Now EVGA has a 1600MHZ+ Memory "Maximum"?? Really? Because i know the Asus board supports 2200Mhz (OC'd) and 1600MHz stock...hmmm, i like fast ram. Just saying.

Now i see no USB 3.0 or 6GB/s Sata connectors for the EVGA. Might be useful to have (Asus has them, why not EVGA?).

All in all, i think i'd swerve with Asus of course, but it's the little things that make me go towards it. Both are good boards. And the color scheme is kinda the same so you can't use that as an option lol.
October 4, 2010 11:41:19 PM

The new board Classified 3 has both USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. I kinda like the display on the Classified, but the Asus board just seems like a better choice. Didn't even notice the RAM clocks. I have 6GBs of DDR3 1600 right now, would 2200 be noticably faster?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 1:46:01 AM

Ah well that's good, thanks for correcting me x). USB 3.0 + Sata 6GB/s are a must have for the future :) .

And 1600 vs 2200? Yes and No. Pretty much anything 1600 and over - will be nice and smooth - Adding more ram won't exactly increase performance just multi-tasking power, but faster ram can increase performance (especially gaming wise) but it's not going to be record breaking. But it never hurt to be a little faster ;) 

I'd personally try to OC the ram to 2200. I like to game, so i'd like the extra performance, plus it's fun just knowing your ram has that potential xD.
m
l
October 5, 2010 4:14:14 AM

Gekko Shadow said:
Ah well that's good, thanks for correcting me x). USB 3.0 + Sata 6GB/s are a must have for the future :) .

And 1600 vs 2200? Yes and No. Pretty much anything 1600 and over - will be nice and smooth - Adding more ram won't exactly increase performance just multi-tasking power, but faster ram can increase performance (especially gaming wise) but it's not going to be record breaking. But it never hurt to be a little faster ;) 

I'd personally try to OC the ram to 2200. I like to game, so i'd like the extra performance, plus it's fun just knowing your ram has that potential xD.

Never thought about overclocking my RAM.. What's the fastest RAM you can buy at stock clocks? I think 1600 was the fastest when I got mine, although I regret it now. I bought expensive 4GB sticks from a cheap brand. I wish I would have gotten a few 2GB sticks from Corsair or Kingston. Might do just that after I get my new mobo.

Almost have enough old parts to make a new X58 system. :) 
m
l
October 5, 2010 4:14:52 AM

Best answer selected by Steffwiz.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 1:03:29 PM

Well - the FASTEST you can buy would probably be PC 20000. Which is 2500Mhz =P. That's quite some ram lol, not to mention expensive. It's usually easier (and more easily supported) to buy lower ram speeds (1600MHz is good) and OC from there. OC'ing all depends on the motherboard you buy - and both of these boards should do that with no problems.

You can stick with 1600MHz, that's still a good speed, even without OC you don't need to unless you want to. And yeah good brands do make a difference - it's easier to OC :) .

lol, nice - i'm just starting on my new x58 build. Gonna take me a while as i'm very picky about my parts, but i can't wait till it's completed xD.
m
l
October 5, 2010 1:27:01 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
Well - the FASTEST you can buy would probably be PC 20000. Which is 2500Mhz =P. That's quite some ram lol, not to mention expensive. It's usually easier (and more easily supported) to buy lower ram speeds (1600MHz is good) and OC from there. OC'ing all depends on the motherboard you buy - and both of these boards should do that with no problems.

You can stick with 1600MHz, that's still a good speed, even without OC you don't need to unless you want to. And yeah good brands do make a difference - it's easier to OC :) .

lol, nice - i'm just starting on my new x58 build. Gonna take me a while as i'm very picky about my parts, but i can't wait till it's completed xD.

My current RAM is by G.Skill, and it's really cheap. Timings are horrible. I might just max my board out with 2GB sticks, from a good brand. I like the Corsair bundle with the fan..

To overclock RAM you have to up the FSB, right? So my ability to overclock my RAM would depend on how much I want to overclock my processor.. That's the way I understand it, at least.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My current RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Great timings, fast, and about $100 more than my two 4GB sticks I have by G.Skill. I'll probably get something like this.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 3:34:14 PM

G.Skill is not that cheap. I thought you meant cheap like fleabay (ebay xD) unbranded ram cheap.

But that corsair looks nice ;D! You can never go wrong with Corsair. I personally like OCZ too. They haven't failed me yet x). (Don't forget about Kingston! lol).

Ok, increasing the FSB is one way of doing it - but that's if you want to OC your CPU. You don't have to OC the CPU if you don't want to, you can just mess with the actual timings of the ram. You usually increase or decrease the timings for faster speeds (and of course increase the voltages as needed). I prefer manually setting timings when i want to do benchmark tests, but for daily use i have it on auto. It OC's pretty well for DDR2 lol. (Stock 800MHz OC'd @ 1004MHz).

You should be able to do these timing changes in the motherboard's BIOS. You could probably even find "how to's" on the motherboard manuals (not very often happens tho :p ).

m
l
October 6, 2010 5:24:30 AM

Gekko Shadow said:
G.Skill is not that cheap. I thought you meant cheap like fleabay (ebay xD) unbranded ram cheap.

But that corsair looks nice ;D! You can never go wrong with Corsair. I personally like OCZ too. They haven't failed me yet x). (Don't forget about Kingston! lol).

Ok, increasing the FSB is one way of doing it - but that's if you want to OC your CPU. You don't have to OC the CPU if you don't want to, you can just mess with the actual timings of the ram. You usually increase or decrease the timings for faster speeds (and of course increase the voltages as needed). I prefer manually setting timings when i want to do benchmark tests, but for daily use i have it on auto. It OC's pretty well for DDR2 lol. (Stock 800MHz OC'd @ 1004MHz).

You should be able to do these timing changes in the motherboard's BIOS. You could probably even find "how to's" on the motherboard manuals (not very often happens tho :p ).

How safe would overclocking RAM with heat spreaders be? (Assuming I try to lower my timings on my current RAM) I assume it's virtually impossible to overclock the Corsair RAM to overwhelm the included fan.. lol. :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2010 4:36:59 PM

Well technically - OC is never "safe" usually it's just plain fun xD. But you definitely need heat spreaders if you're gonna OC. It's just one of those "do it or fry" things xD.

I'm sure you can OC ram a good say 150-300Mhz (say cheap ram) and maybe anything past 300Mhz for better ram? The better the ram the further you should be able to OC it. And more than likely you will want to increase timings, not lower them x).

What ram are you planning on OC'ing??
m
l
October 7, 2010 8:46:13 AM

Gekko Shadow said:
Well technically - OC is never "safe" usually it's just plain fun xD. But you definitely need heat spreaders if you're gonna OC. It's just one of those "do it or fry" things xD.

I'm sure you can OC ram a good say 150-300Mhz (say cheap ram) and maybe anything past 300Mhz for better ram? The better the ram the further you should be able to OC it. And more than likely you will want to increase timings, not lower them x).

What ram are you planning on OC'ing??

I want to lower my timings.. 9-9-9-24 isn't bad, I guess, but they could be lower. I don't really care about the clock, 1600 is already very fast.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 1:03:17 PM

what's the voltage of the ram?(lol i would probably say something like: "1600MHz? Bah! I need MOAR POWAH!!!!" xD)
m
l
October 7, 2010 1:36:53 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
what's the voltage of the ram?(lol i would probably say something like: "1600MHz? Bah! I need MOAR POWAH!!!!" xD)

1.65v I think..
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 5:48:12 PM

hmmm. try the voltage @ 1.5v and try timings 7-7-7-20 (trc @ 27, 26?)
m
l
October 7, 2010 5:52:46 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
hmmm. try the voltage @ 1.5v and try timings 7-7-7-20 (trc @ 27, 26?)

Lower the voltage? Don't I need to increase it to make the timings faster?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 6:07:25 PM

my bad lmao - looking at the wrong pages here xD

I say try between 1.7v - 1.9v.
m
l
October 7, 2010 7:15:37 PM

Haha. :)  I'll try that.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 9:16:39 PM

Awesome, let me know how that goes :) 

And also don't be afraid to change the timings on your own - of course stay within a reasonable margin - don't go pushing voltages to 2.6v and timings to 1-1-1-25 xP - but experiment xD after all alot of it is trial and error lol.
m
l
September 2, 2011 8:08:30 PM

You never stated what you really wanted your new board to do for you? If it is simply for gaming then either one would be fine although the ASUS overclocks on air a little easier than the EVGA does. I like the hex display too, which comes on the ASUS Black Edition but not on the standard R3E. INTELs specification on the memory is 1066Mhz with the X58 chipset because of the memory controller built into the CPU but you can run any speed DIMMS you want in either board. I've run 2000mhz + in both boards. If you call in for warranty you tell them you have 1066mhz lol. If you are only gaming, you won't notice the difference between the 1600mhz and the 2000mhz. Its' only if you get into competative over-clocking that it will really make any difference.
m
l
September 2, 2011 8:22:52 PM

Just read the last few posts regarding over clocking so thought I'd post again to help you from killing your board.

1 - NEVER set your vDIMM between 1.7 and 1.9, especially with the processor you have. Also, you only go 1.70 to 1.85 IF you are running LN2 Extreme Cooling. Otherwise you're CPU will go POP!

There is no FSB on the X58 motherboards since the memory controller is now built inside the processor - that is why Intel recommend a vDIMM of 1.5. Using 1.65 should be the max you go on either air or water cooling.

You overclock the X58 boards two ways (for the most part). On your 920CPU you're limited on what you can set the cpu's processor multiplier. If you had a 980X you can OC by moving the multiplier up. Without the unlocked proc though, you're pretty much stuck with manipulating the BCLK (Base Clock). Default BCLK is 133 so raising it makes the system faster (the entire system is run in accordance with the base clock). You will need to add vCore (voltage to the cpu cores) at some point or the board will not boot. Best bet is to slowly move up the baseclock until you can't boot - reboot and add some voltage and start over again. You'll probably be able to get faster clocks than you and run stabily but those are trial and error methods until you find your best setting. KEEP an eye on the CPU CORE TEMPS! You don't want to melt anything lol.

You overclock the ram by using the RAM DIVIDER and the ram speed will move up and down with your BCLK setting as well.

I love EVGAs software overclockining utility called ELEET. ASUS calls their utility EVO. You adjust your clocks in the BIOS and then use the software utilities to tweak them. the system will run faster in use than it will boot at.

Corsair is some of the best, and, some of the most expensive DDR3. They have heat spreaders and come with a fan unit to mount over the DIMMs to keep them cool G.Skill can be good but you'll never go wrong with Corsair Dominators

Careful
m
l
July 2, 2012 2:41:23 AM

ive owned both of these boards and have to say evga is far better. the board was more stable ahd more features and overclocking was easy. now dont get me wrong the asus board did too. buuuuttt the asus board also was mass produced with a faulty part meaning you buy it yur screwed so i would go with the evga one which seem more powerful and just a better choice over all
m
l
!