Cpu cooler doesn't move

praxis_

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Hello... this is my first time build and it's quite frustrating that everething appears to work with the exception of the cpu cooler, acrtic freezer 7 pro rev.2. i tried to change every setting about the fan in the bios that i could but it won't start to move. i saw that it moved once, apparently i didn't do anything and it started moving very slowly and after nothing more.

I tried to put in the cpu fan power slow the one of the original intel cooler, and it immediately moves. althought it doesn't respond to the vaious commands in the bios (such as minimum speed et c.), after saving and rebooting of course.

Please give any suggestion. Thanks.

xaira

Distinguished
SO IF I GET THIS STRAIGHT, the intel cooler works immediately and all the time and the arctic doesnt? sounds like the fan on the arctic is nut good

praxis_

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Yes, the intel stock cooler fan spins but it doesn't respond to bios commands. This makes me thing that there might be a problem even with the motherboard. Maybe also the PSU.

I can see that the arctic fan, when i press the power button, doesn't start to spin but it *tries*: i think some voltage is given but not enought to make it fully spin.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Is the stock fan a 3-pin? Turn off all fan control in the BIOS. If the fan spins after you do that, implement controls incrementally until fan fails again. If it doesn't spin with no BIOS controls in place it's likely the fan.

praxis_

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I found a possible problem which might lead to the fans not moving.

You know the 20+4 pin power connector of the power supply that powers the motherdboard? Ok, i checked and i think it misses a pin. (is it called pin? however single connection). It is in the #21 place which would power a 5v line, and there is nothing there, while in every one of the other 24 places there is a pin (a connection). Of course the motherboard has its own in the 21# place, but the connector of the power supply doesn't.

I don't know if this is normal, anyway i don't understand why a 5v line would power a fan which is 12v?

I suspect that all fans are o.k., it's something else. Say something please.

Thank you.

praxis_

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

All fans are 4-pin. I've both disabled and maximized controls in the bios, and in both cases even the intel stock fan spins at 1900 rpm maximum, that's the absolute maximum it reaches in every combination (normally should be 2850rpm or more), even when placed in the "system fan slot" instead of the cpu one.