Hyper Threading and Overclocking

demonitrax

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Standard fan, good case, i7 3990k ivy bridge

I do not use 8 logical cores, so if i disable hyper threading could I get it too 5Ghz per core on a standard fan? Most applications and games i use do not get very far on one thread.

dragonsamus

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Usually disabling hyper threading will help with a higher overclock because the CPU will run cooler. I don't recommend overclocking with the stock cooler.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hyperthreading causes a single core to do twice the work in "theory". It allows two threads to be ran on a single processor simultaneously. Disabling HT can drop core temperatures in normal use; but when there's a max load it really doesn't vary all that much in my experience. Stress testing with IBT shows almost no difference in thermal output.

And as dragonsamus said; stock cooler isn't a good overclocking option. It may hold a small overclock but absolutely has no chance of pushing that thing to 5Ghz per core. You should start looking into aftermarket cooling if you're wanting to go that way.

thequn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
I assume you mean 3770k? and Even with Ht off I don't think you can get 5 ghz on stock that think is tiny no heat dispersion. and even if you could get it to load it would blow up trying to stress test.