Sign in with
Your question

New system, motherboard problem?

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2010 11:09:29 PM

Okay so I have a new system that I'm trying to build. Everything seems to work fine, but freezes all the time.
I can't run any tests because it would freeze up and restart. Sometimes I don't get a display when the computer
restarts itself.

I tried testing each memory individually but it still freezes during testing and restarts itself. I can't run any tests
longer than 30 mins without it restarting or freezing. I've taken the video card and memory out and left only the
cpu, hsf and psu. I realized the motherboard doesn't even beep at all. So I took out the cpu and tried running
just the motherboard and still no beeps.

Even with just the cpu and hsf the motherboard doesn't give me any beeps. But when everything was hooked up
I was able to install windows 7 and actually boot it up. Do I have a motherboard problem? Or am I doing something
wrong here?

Specs
CPU - Intel i7 920
Mobo - ASRock x58 extreme
Memory - OCZ Gold 6gb 3x2gb OCZ3G1600LV6GK
Vid Card Hooked up via hdmi out to dvi on monitor - Sapphire Radeon 5850
PSU - Antec TruePower 650
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
February 21, 2010 1:30:08 AM

1) Do you even have a system speaker? If the comp boots up and shows you something on your monitor, it should have beeped something. A system speaker would come with your case, would be really small, and would plug directly into your motherboard.

2) I take it you were able to install Windows if you're talking about running tests?

3) Did you make sure to go into the BIOS and manually set the RAM voltages and timings to their factory settings? RAM with incorrect voltages and timings are known to cause problems like you're describing. And contrary to some people's thoughts, your motherboard does not automatically detect the correct settings.
m
l
February 21, 2010 3:55:54 AM

No the case doesn't have a speaker, but doesn't the mobo already have one built in? There are no beeps whatsoever.

Yes I was able to install Windows just fine.

And I have set the RAM voltages and timings correctly and even tried it at different settings but I still have a no go. I even went to the ocz support forum and tried settings moderators suggesting using on this specific mobo too.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2010 12:55:21 PM

I'm not aware of any mobo's that have a speaker built in. This is what you need to hear beep codes.

However, from the info you gave here i doubt the speaker could give you any good info.

As for what the problem is...I doubt it's bad RAM if you tested the system with one at a time. You could try using a different slot on your motherboard to see if it's a bad RAM slot. Other than that, i would try running MemTest and see what it tells you. Available here. Though i'm guessing from what you told us here that it won't make it through the test.
m
l
February 21, 2010 6:40:53 PM

I've tried running memtest using different memory and different slots but I still get the message that says unexpected interrupt - halting in less than 6 mins. It happens with every memory stick, could it be something else other than the memory?
m
l
February 22, 2010 2:24:49 PM

I'm sort of stumped as well. Does the system only freeze when you're stressing it, or does it also freeze when you're browsing the internet?

The reason i ask is because i suppose it could a cooling problem. I'd try downloading one of the programs that allows you to see system temperatures to see if something's running excessively hot. There are a couple listed at the bottom of this guide.

If temperatures look ok, then my guess is that it is a motherboard problem. It could have been slightly shocked as it was being put together, frying only some of the pathways, thereby causing problems only at certain points.

But check the temps first and post what you find.
m
l
!